ACK E-04 installation in C-170B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ccondit

ACK E-04 installation in C-170B

Post by ccondit »

Is there any special approvals that need to be gotten to make the installation of an ACK E004 406 ELT installation in a C-170B legal?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: ACK E-04 installation in C-170B

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Unless you had a special installation I can't see why you would need a special approval. If you already have the E-01 the FAQ seems to indicate the installation to be pretty simple. If not the work and approval would be no different than any other ELT from what I see reading the literature.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

He who requests permission is asking for rejection. It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission. You may note that "Yes" requires three strokes on the keyboard whereas "No" only takes two. This is a big deal in a government bureaucrats career.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ccondit wrote:Is there any special approvals that need to be gotten to make the installation of an ACK E004 406 ELT installation in a C-170B legal?
No. Make the logbook entry indicating the old ELT was removed and the new one installed per the instructions. (minor alteration, no Form 337 req'd but if you plan to cross ADIZ/s you might wish to fill out the 337 for the purpose of border-crossing documentation to prove to "authorities"
the mod was performed...not necessary to file with FAA.)

Second, make the change to your Equipment List / Wt/Bal documents.

Lastly, never have any reason whatsoever to use your new ELT.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ccondit

Post by ccondit »

Hanger folks:

I got this back very promptly from ACK with details, and yes it is a minor alteration:
---------------------
The FAA has determined that installation or replacement of an ELT in an aircraft weighing 12,500 lbs or less in a non pressurized area is a minor mod and no form 337 is required. This is a link to installation requirements that can be found on our website.

http://www.ackavionics.com/pdf/E-04%20E ... 20Data.pdf
---------------------
They include a letter from the FAA Council, and details about what's needed on the above page.

Chris
HA

Post by HA »

minor unless you need to do structural mods for mounting, then you have to get that approved by the usual means. I put one of these ELT's in my 172 this fall to replace my old Dorne and Margolin unit, so I had a suitable mounting tray already.

the ACK mounting method uses a metal clip that is kind of cheesy and didn't fit correctly on mine, they sent me another one that did fit promptly.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane