AD list

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AS427

AD list

Post by AS427 »

Hi All,
My name is Andrew and I am looking at purchasing my first airplane. I am interested in the 170 as I think it will fit most of my needs but I had some question that I was hoping someone here could help me out with.
Is there a comprehensive list of AD’s that affect 170’S. I know this would be huge but I have tried searching these forums and the FAA database and it appears that there only a few AD’s that are against the 170 but I am running into trouble searching for things like magnetos and carburetors. I see lots of reference to AD’s on the carburetors and magnetos but I can’t find them in the FAA database.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: AD list

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I think we have probably shied away from a list of ADs because of the nature that once written it will always be here and not necessarily up to date.

There are very few ADs against the Cessna 170. Of course as you mentioned accessories that are installed may add more. Every plane has to be inspected and a search run for the components each might have.

Here are most of the ADs found on a stock 170. If there is a Lycoming installed there is a few more. If there is a vacuum pump there is an AD on that (but more important how was the vacuum pump legally installed?)

There are two against the airframe that I can think of that are recurring:
2011-10-09 Seat track. Reoccurs annually
76-07-12 Bendix mag switch. Reoccurs every 100 hours

Here are two others that are one time:
79-10-14 R1 Fuel tank venting - (Fuel Caps)
79-08-03 Disconnect or properly fuse the cigarette lighter

On the C-145/0-300 Engine:
94-05-05 R1 Cylinder Rocker boss inspection if cylinder removed
93-11-03 Incorrect connecting rod on certain 0-300 eng.
93-10-02 Valve retainer key in certain 0-300 and other engines
82-07-02 Engine Crankcase Breather
50-20-01 Certain C145 engines
49-50-01 C-145 Generator drive coupling inspection replacement
48-43-02 Piston pin plugs

Accessories
2002-13-04 Certain Slick magneto impulse coupling stop pins

96-09-06 Bracket Air Filter recurring inspection

72-06-05 R2 Marvel Schebler Carbs to inspect throttle arm
98-01-06 Precision Airmotive Corporation(formerly Facet Aerospace Products Corporation and Marvel-Schebler Corporation) Model MA-3, MA-3A, MA-3PA, MA-3SPA,MA-4SPA carburetors install one piece venturi or inspect 2 piece every 100 hours
93-19-04 Certain PRECISION AIRMOTIVE (formerly Facet Aerospace Products (formerly Marvel-Schebler)) Model MA3, MA3A, MA3PA, MA3SPA, and MA4SPA Carburetors with bad floats
63-22-03, 69-24-03, 77-13-16 and 79-08-06 are a few more ADs on Marvel-Shebler carb family carbs for certain serial numbers or model numbers.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DWood

Post by DWood »

82-07-02 Engine Crankcase Breather
I am doing my annual AD search and this AD 82-07-02 came up under 170 on the FAA AD site. It only calls 170A, B, and 172 models. The picture is of a Lycoming engine and item 4 states Lycoming.

Although this AD is poorly written, I don't believe it applies to the Continental engines.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dan, your right it only applies if you have a Lycoming installed. So unless that is the case it does not have to be complied with.

However, there is no difference between a Lycoming with no ventilation and a Continental with no ventilation. You will blow oil out the crank seal. So it may be good practice to cut a whistle slot in the breather line as 82-7-02 describes even on a Continental installation.

Another AD I've seen incorrectly signed off for a Continental installation is 74-06-02 Avcon muffler inspection and or 69-15-03 muffler inspection. These Ads are also only on Lycoming installations and those mufflers installed.

There is no AD on either of the stock mufflers pancake style or Hanlon Wilson used with the Continental. So no sign off is required. Of course that doesn't mean inspecting all mufflers in the same manner isn't a smart idea because it doesn't matter if how you breath leaking CO2 and a Continental can not create rated power if a muffler should collapse and choke of the exhaust.

DWood

Post by DWood »

However, there is not difference between a Lycoming with no ventilation and a Continental with no ventilation. You will blow oil out the crank seal. So it may be good practice to cut a whistle slot in the breather line as 82-7-02 describes even on a Continental installation.
Bruce that was what I was thinking but hadn't heard of anyone else doing this. Has anyone had this issue with the breather freezing and blowing the seal out on a continental?

Thx, Dan
Bruce Fenstermacher

I've not had the problem because both my Continental powered airplanes have a whistle slot. If you do a google search for whistle slot you will find a thread on it from the Super Cub Guys. There is a picture of a guy holding the ice removed from his tube.

If you plug the breather on a Continental you will blow oil out the crank shaft seal. In fact if your seal is leaking the first thing you want to do is make sure your breather is open.

There is no down side to putting in a whistle slot. There might be a downside not to.

DWood

Post by DWood »

Thanks Bruce
It has been over 25 years since I have flown in freezing conditions.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DWood wrote:
However, there is not difference between a Lycoming with no ventilation and a Continental with no ventilation. You will blow oil out the crank seal. So it may be good practice to cut a whistle slot in the breather line as 82-7-02 describes even on a Continental installation.
Bruce that was what I was thinking but hadn't heard of anyone else doing this. Has anyone had this issue with the breather freezing and blowing the seal out on a continental?

Thx, Dan
Not true. Many Lycomings have a pressure-tight, screw-in oil-filler cap which effectively seals/closes-off the crankcase system. Continentals have a loose-fitting sheet-metal cap which leaks (like a Continental should.) :lol:

Nonetheless, Cessna instructs owners to include a "whistle" in their breather lines as good practice (I just can't remember where I read it at the moment, I'm still struggling with my first coffee cup after a late nite.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

George someone told me you had a loose oil cap and I couldn't believe it. :lol: MIne are tight but the point is well taken comparing the Lycoming screw on verses the Continental, the Lycoming has a better chance to seal. But I still stand by my basic statement, you can blow a crank seal in a Continental if the case is not vented.

And George, I was also looking for the whistle slot reference from Cessna and Piper as well with no luck. Could it be another case of an AD that we are so use to seeing applied when it is called for and when it is not, and now just consider it standard and good practice.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:George someone told me you had a loose oil cap and I couldn't believe it. :lol: MIne are tight but the point is well taken comparing the Lycoming screw on verses the Continental, the Lycoming has a better chance to seal. But I still stand by my basic statement, you can blow a crank seal in a Continental if the case is not vented. ...
I agree. (and my AIRPLANE cap is tight...but I wouldn't guarantee it won't pass gas.) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Was a fellow coming up the coast a few months ago in a cub with a o360 Lycoming. He had a clear plastic hose going to the breather tube with a simple slit in the hose for the safety pressure release. He was flying at 9000 msl in freezing temperatures and blew out the nose crank seal and lost his oil and had to make a landing on the snow. Problem was the plastic hose had got cold enough to not flex and open the slit in it and over pressured the crankcase. You need a open hole at the high point of the breather, not a slit that will get cold and stiff.
minton

Post by minton »

Bruce,

I'm all over not being a repository of regulations. Membership has access to "FAA.GOV" for those needs and then it's on them to keep us up to date!
Bruce Fenstermacher

minton wrote:Bruce,

I'm all over not being a repository of regulations. Membership has access to "FAA.GOV" for those needs and then it's on them to keep us up to date!
And this page is even easier to use than it ever was before.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... irectives/

One tip for searching is to make sure you search on all three models, 170 170A and 170B. Then search on the engine model. Then search on each and every appliance. Appliances are the mags, carb, starters, air cleaner, vacuum pump and so on.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
minton wrote:Bruce,

And this page is even easier to use than it ever was before.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... irectives/

One tip for searching is to make sure you search on all three models, 170 170A and 170B. Then search on the engine model. Then search on each and every appliance. Appliances are the mags, carb, starters, air cleaner, vacuum pump and so on.
Don't forget your seats. :twisted:
minton

Post by minton »

I have absolutely no idea where my seats came from! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll leave that to the poor AI's