Replacement mufflers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

krines

Replacement mufflers

Post by krines »

What is the best source for replacement mufflers for my C145 A model
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Replacement mufflers

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

What mufflers do you have?

The original would be what is called "pancake" style. These are flat like a "pancake". The later Hanlon Wilsons are round and the baffleing will likely have a plate that says Hanlon Wilson.

Until recently if you had the pancake type you were out of luck with new or even rebuilt units. All that was available was used and they are getting pretty thin by now. The only option you had was to convert to the later Hanlon Wilson system. Converting was about $2000 a few years ago. Probably a little more now.

But recently I saw that Wag Aero is one again offering pancake style "repairs" for $400 a side which would be much cheaper than changing over to the later system. http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=3101
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

buy every thing here

http://www.acornwelding.com/pdf/Cessna/ ... 0_170A.pdf

Their parts are beautiful, their prices will give your wallet a panic attack.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

AWI also makes a really nice system. http://www.awi-ami.com/page%204.pdf

It is important to note about the only part that can not be bought is the scat funnel intake for the right hand front of the B model baffle.

The good news is that if you have a '52 or earlier or are upgrading from "pancakes" from those years, you do not use the right hand muffler and baffles. You purchase two complete left hand muffler/baffle systems. Use one on the left and flip the other and use it on the right side. They are symmetrical.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
HA

Post by HA »

Also Knisley has very good parts, I just bought new risers from them this annual
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
krines

Post by krines »

Thanks folks now another question. Are the insides of the muffler hollow or is there something like packing in there that can wear out.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The purpose of most aircraft mufflers is to provide a leak-free method of getting exhaust gasses out of the engine and into the slipstream away from the cabin ventilation system. A secondary purpose is to provide a "heat exchanger" to provide heat for induction air and for cabin heating inlet air.
Aircraft mufflers are not actually intended to quieten the exhaust noise such as automotive mufflers do. The internal structures of aircraft mufflers are used for strengthening and for heat-transfer. They do not have "packing" per se, although some designs do incorporate cages or cones to re-direct hot gasses away from some surfaces and to help prevent loose components from blocking the exhaust and creating excessive backpressures.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
krines

Post by krines »

Thanks George
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:AWI also makes a really nice system. http://www.awi-ami.com/page%204.pdf

It is important to note about the only part that can not be bought is the scat funnel intake for the right hand front of the B model baffle.

The good news is that if you have a '52 or earlier or are upgrading from "pancakes" from those years, you do not use the right hand muffler and baffles. You purchase two complete left hand muffler/baffle systems. Use one on the left and flip the other and use it on the right side. They are symmetrical.
I second the recommendation for AWI. I sent them a pile of c**ppy-looking stainless steel parts that had once resembled a Cessna 170 exhaust system (Hanlon-Wilson mufflers) and they sent me back a "repaired" system that looked and fit like brand new.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AWI has also given our Association serious support in the past. They donated an entire system to our Kelowna convention.

Charlie Field is the contact.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
twlareau

Post by twlareau »

I second AWI, I bought a system from them last year. Great quality and fit. I go back a few decades with Charlie, good guy!