best palce to buy Cleveland wheels and brakes (kit 199-46)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Re: best palce to buy Cleveland wheels and brakes (kit 199-

Post by blueldr »

There probably no current C-170 owners that have had their airplanes since new.
If I wanted Clevelald Brakes, I'd buy a set from a junker for a damn sight less than new, inspect them for condition and completeness, properly install them, and if anyone questioned it, just tell them they have been on the airplane ever since I've owned it.
I never had ANYONE ever question me about the double puck Clevelands I had on my plane, except a few other owners that had a yen to have them too.
BL
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Thank You,

And Thank You for the Pictures Bigrenna, I believe the brakes should come off for straight skis. Otherwise there just in the way.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:There probably no current C-170 owners that have had their airplanes since new.
If I wanted Clevelald Brakes, I'd buy a set from a junker for a damn sight less than new, inspect them for condition and completeness, properly install them, and if anyone questioned it, just tell them they have been on the airplane ever since I've owned it.
Unfortunately, as practical as that may seem... these days, that solution is no longer considered honest or legal. I can think of at least three different laws violated, and none of them have a fine less than the purchase price of the kit.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
You ought to go to work for the FUZZ. They could forget about congress and funding and thrive on fines.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:There probably no current C-170 owners that have had their airplanes since new.
Actually if memory serves me we have two current members from two different families who where with their fathers when they picked up their 170 from Cessna. I thingk that is close enough.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:George,
You ought to go to work for the FUZZ. They could forget about congress and funding and thrive on fines.
They DO fine us.... for making money each year. They call it INCOME TAX.
:evil:
PTUOOEY!!! (I have to spit every time I say that.)
:mrgreen:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Andy Metzka

Post by Andy Metzka »

FWIW- I called Parker last year and the gentleman said just give him the N number and serial number and they will send you a copy of the STC. (Probably because they want to sell you parts!)
He also said the 40-97 wheels were listed in the 199-46 kit but 40-113's would also probably work as they were listed as replacements for McCauley wheels.

At the present time I am still running Goodyears. I have a bunch of round pucks (some new) from 120/140's I would be willing to swap for some kidney shaped 170 pucks (309 265 3424)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Andy,
I was recently at Faeth Aircraft salvage yard south of Sacramento. I did see some kidney shaped linings -- not sure if they were for the piston side (0541116-32 / Goodyear p/n 95-11269) or the stationary side (0541116-30 / Goodyear p/n 95-11271). He also had the clips (0541117-12 / Goodyear p/n 95-20403). If you were bold like our Blueldr you could get some used Cleveland discs and calipers at Faeth --- he has all kinds of brake stuff. The hard part would be getting the right parts as they look so similar to the McCauley stuff.
Gary