best palce to buy Cleveland wheels and brakes (kit 199-46)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ccondit

best palce to buy Cleveland wheels and brakes (kit 199-46)

Post by ccondit »

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy Cleveland wheels and brakes (kit 199-46)? Cheif, Aircraft Spruce ????
GAHorn

Re: best palce to buy Cleveland wheels and brakes (kit 199-

Post by GAHorn »

Shop for the best price, both those places are good. (Spruce is a supporter of our association, however, having donated to our conventions.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Why not save money and go to a junker and buy the necessary serviceable parts. Save a lot of money, buy whiskey!
BL
fishdoc

Post by fishdoc »

Got mine from Wentworth. Took some cleaning up, repacking the wheel bearings and painting on the calipers but otherwise good to go.
About $600 less than the cost of new ones.
1952 170B (with the sexy rounded tail)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The problem with buying brakes from a junk-yard for the purpose of conversion is.... no paperwork which is assigned to your airframe. In order to convert an airframe there must be a basis of approval such as STC, which will not ordinarily transfer from one airframe to another without the conversion-kit-mfr's approval.

This is an entirely different issue than the likelihood of buying junk parts with hidden damage (such as the common internal corrosion of caliper pistons found in junk-yard salvage jobs.)

Then there is the matter of obtaining the exact parts which meet approved conversions. Yes...it's possible to gather the salvaged parts together that will work... But are the parts you gathered the exact part-numbers used in approved conversions? ...and will your annual inspector find your source and method airworthy?

Sometimes the least expensive conversion is not the cheapest one. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I just knew that the paperwork advocates would panic at the thought of no STC for a set of cleveland wheels and brakes from the junkyards. In all the years that I had a C-170, I don't believe anyone EVER even looked to see what kind of wheels and brakes I had until I installed the double puck type calipers. They were Clevelands and they were on the plane when I got it and there was no paperwork. I guess I'm just lucky.
In my memory, over the years I seemed to have seen VERY few C-170 airplanes with other than Clevelands. I even changed a few out without paperwork, but they were early C-172s.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

One of our members found that he couldn't transfer his airplane to another because it had McCauley brakes on it..... when he thought all those years he had Clevelands. His paperwork showed he had Clevelands.
To complete the sale, guess what he had to do?
(Good thing he never experienced a runway departure or ground-loop, heh?)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Who was it that squashed the aircraft transfer over the brakes?
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The pre-buy inspector had squawked the brake linings as worn-out... and while attempting to order replacements recognized that common 166-104 Cleveland/Rapco linings didn't fit, due to the fact his brakes were actually discontinued models of McCauley. (The correct linings were available...but the situation revealed the difference between what was logged as installed versus what was actually installed.)

(For those not familiar... McCauley mfr'd disc/caliper style brakes almost identical to Parker-Hannifin/Cleveland. McCauley also eventually became a Cessna-subsidiary. Thru the mid-60s and 70s Cessna installed ...you guessed it...McCauley brakes on 100-series airplanes.
Since many of those airplanes ended up in salvage yards, their parts are often purchased and installed on operational airplanes. This usually works out just fine as long as the purchaser knows what they are getting.
This odd matter occurred because at one time the old Goodyear brakes were being replaced with what looked like Cleveland brakes. A Form 337 was completed based upon another aircrafts' conversion using Clevelands. Unfortunately, the actual brakes being installed only resembled Clevelands...they were actually and old set of obsolete McCauleys supplied from a junkyard. The pre-buy inspector caught the error and suggested submitting for a new field approval but seller balked at the lengthened process and buyer balked at buying an airplane with an obsolete brake system. New Clevelands were installed (which came with the benefit of an included approval basis ...STC... and the two split the cost.)
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I currently have Bodell brakes and wheels. Parts are difficult to find. Therefore I may just switch to clevelands.

Does any one have good pictures of Cleveland double pucks installed? Both with the wheel on and off?

When I put the skis on, I take the Bodell brakes off. Can I leave the Clevelands on with straight skis?

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I would guess that you could leave them on if you had some sort of a "keeper" in the caliper to keep from blowing the pucks out.
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

blueldr wrote:I would guess that you could leave them on if you had some sort of a "keeper" in the caliper to keep from blowing the pucks out.
and some way of keeping the caliper from sliding out as the rotor is want keeps the caliper in place.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I recall an AD from the 70's for McCauley wheels and a recurring inspection until some corrective action was done. I don't think it was for 170 series aircraft but if you do have that part number wheel assembly it would bear looking into. I also think there was a bulletin or AD for cracks for them. Have not seen McCauleys in a long time as most people opt for Clevelands
It's not done till it's overdone
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.