Sky-tec starter vs Delco Remy starter adjustment and switch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Sky-tec starter vs Delco Remy starter adjustment and switch

Post by GAHorn »

Sky Tec is a Texas company and one of the head guys up there is a friend of a friend so when I prepared to call for donations for the Tehachapi convention one of the many contributors I called was ... you know who. They said they would send it direct to the convention Host. They didn't. They "forgot". They were the only ones who "forgot" out of the dozen or so who made commitments to me.
I haven't tried calling B&C but it reminds me to call them this year.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

To me , the sad part of the Sky Tec starter fiasco was the fact that it was apparently approved by our trusty, watchful FAA. They're helping us!
It's kind of like the fuel return system they also apparently approved on a number of fuel injected Beech aircraft. Murphys Law Rules! If it can be f--ked up, it will be.
BL
krines

Post by krines »

Well it looks like weve got a lively discussion going. I appreciate all the input so far. One thing that concerns me is most, except one reply, is from the Delco crowd. The non Delco reply is an 0-360 install. I know there must be someone lurking out there with a 145 install that is not talking. My hangar neighbor has a Maule C145 Sky Tec setup and he loves it, not a single problem. I have a couple supercub buddies that also like their Sky Tec but thats a Lycoming setup. I have moved forward with installing the Sky Tec. I cut out the pinion gear post and it can be done without contamination. You stuff rags into the accessory case and over the gears. Then cover the rags and remaining case with modeling puddy. Then cut off the post with an air power dremel tool. After that I pressed all the debris into the clay thus trapping it. Then you peel the clay out leaving the rags in place. I ran a magnet around the inside, vacumed and then vigourously wiped it out. Then I removed the 2 layers of rags one at a time constantly checking for debris. Keeping it clean just take time and care. In the end the most concerning step is taking the time with the cuts so as not to damage any gear teeth. I used yellow clay which quickly turns black with dirt while cutting. If the cutting wheel then touchs the clay you see yellow and then know your close to trouble. I will let you know how the rest goes when I recieve my starter. Steve
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

krines wrote:... One thing that concerns me is most, except one reply, is from the Delco crowd. The non Delco reply is an 0-360 install. I know there must be someone lurking out there with a 145 install that is not talking. ... Steve
Pardon me, I should have made it clear that mine is installed on an O-300A, replacing a "pull-type" Delco starter.
cessna170bdriver wrote:I went with the significantly pricier B&C over the Sky-Tec, just because it "looked" to be better engineered, and I'm usually of a mind that I get what I pay for. Also, in reading other aircraft forums, it just seemed that more folks were having problems with Sky-Tec than B&C. It may explode the next time I use it, but as I said before, no regrets so far.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

I have two Sky-Tec's, one on an 170B with a O-360A1A and one on a PA-18-95, Continental C-90. Would never go back and have no regrets. Installation was as advertised. Had good tech support from Sky-Tec. The C-90 was done on the plane, using a die grinder, with clay and template, that was 4 years and 200 hours ago. No issues. Replaced both battery's to Gel cells. Again no issues or corrosion problems and reduced weight. Reduction in the starter weight alone was 7 pounds, each. Note - the C90 was an originally a pull starter.
krines

Post by krines »

Well gents its done. After about 10 to 12 hours of work the starter is installed and signed off. The installation is exactly as advertised by skytec. The starter does turn the prop faster than the original but it is barely noticeable but it does sound better. The starter must have been modified with a sheer pin added to prevent kick back damage as 2 sheer pins come with the starter glued to the case so I can changed those in the alfalfa field in the middle of nowhere. As we say in the operating room " I've been doing it this way for 35 years and I'm not about to change" (been in practice 15yrs) it seems the hardest part of the whole thing was accepting the change which requires a major alteration to the engine. But its done. I will let you know when the thing craps out but sofar so good at 2 starts. Steve
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This post is with tongue-in-cheek (and just to prove the internet sometimes has a difficult time communicating the true intent.)
krines wrote:... " I've been doing it this way for 35 years and I'm not about to change" ...
So....you decided to get rid of the 35-year old starter and do what? :lol: :lol: :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The starter comes with extra shear pins because it will sometimes crank a loose engine too fast for the impulse couplings to engage and retard the spark,causing the engine to fire early on start and kick back.
BL
krines

Post by krines »

George your right on the money, that post is tongue in cheek. It seems I was blessing with a bit too much sarcasm. I do sincerely appreciate all the input, it was a very difficult dicision for me to make my plane not original anymore. In response to your question about what I'm going to do. I'm going flying. My annual which led to the top end overhaul and subsequent intake leak followed by a dead starter has grounded me for 4 weeks making me crazy. ( When the going gets tough the tough get sarcastic. ) My dear wife asked me with lovey dovey eyes if there was anything she could do to make me feel better and my reply was: Yeah, start the plane. Im terrible. Do you think she is aware there is another woman in my life.
N1320D away, gone fishin Thanks Steve
krines

Post by krines »

Well now I am about 30 starts into the new starter all when it was 10 to 20 degrees outside and it fired first time every time. It seems much better when it is cold out than the older starter. Steve
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's nice that mfr's are making products that support our birds, eh?
(There's nothing quite so de-flating as to make a choice and wish you'd not done that.... I just bought a new-to-me toy which doesn't do what it's supposed to do and it's a very "down" feeling, expecially since I'd also ordered other things to go along with it that cannot be returned.) :(

Glad you're happy with your choice. :P
170C

Post by 170C »

OK George, fess up. What toy did you purchase that you aren't very happy with? :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I had a Sky-Tech starter put on my O-300-D at overhaul. The O-300-D has the angle-drive starter adapter and push-button switch for activation. Other than sounding like a 1965 Dodge 225 slant six starter trying to tear itself up, it works great after 150 hours.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
15A

Post by 15A »

I just got my Sky-Tec kit this week for my Champ. Pulled the 65 and installing a C90. Going on floats so I was concerned about weight (and $$$ 8O ), but I'm happy with it.
At least the motor's out and I can work it on the bench.
I've got my 3 piece tool kit ready :lol:

Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:OK George, fess up. What toy did you purchase that you aren't very happy with? :wink:
A Ruger P97 .45 Auto.

In order to fire 15 rounds I only had 7 jams and/or failures to chamber. :evil: I've sent it back to the factory and we'll see what happens. (Ruger never claims to offer any warranty at all on their firearms but they have a reputation of always fixing them free of charge. I once screwed up a Security-Six .357 magnum several years after first purchasing it, by messing with the trigger until the sear failed and the hammer dropped halfway and locked up. The revolver could no longer be disassembled because it requred cocking before disassembly and it was locked..... and I do mean locked!
I sent it back to them and told them it was my own fault and asked if it could be repaired but to provide an estimate first. It was delivered back to me in less than two weeks...fully overhauled, all new springs, (and trigger, of course).... NO CHARGE! They even paid the shipping.)
I only bought the P97 on an impulse while on a trip. The store only wanted $300 for it and I figured it'd be a better car-gun than my usual (a 1911-A1 Govt Model) since the Colt is now worth over $1K. (Of course, if the replacement won't shoot .... it's an expensive mistake.)