Bicycles in a 170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

markeg1964

Bicycles in a 170

Post by markeg1964 »

I discovered over the summer that my lovely wife, who does not really like airplanes or flying, enjoys traveling via the 170. She says she feels like a “bug stuck in the sky” but at the same time finds flying much less stressful than driving. Since making this discovery, I have been trying to plan as many flying trips as possible. We usually fly to the Oregon Coast to walk on the beach (a 30 minute flight) or to visit relatives. Problem is we are running out of fun airports that are within walking distance of things she would like to see.

This got me thinking about taking bicycles along. I can fit two bikes in the back of the 170 if I remove the front bicycle wheels and rear bench seat. I was wondering if others are taking bicycles along. If so, are you purchasing folding bikes or removing the rear seat? Any words of wisdom/recommendations?
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
Kyle Wolfe

Re: Bicycles in a 170

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Mark, we've got a baggage door and two of the folding Dahons with small tires fit nicely into the baggage compartment. They sure beat walking. See this for info http://www.dahon.com/us/folding-bicycles-us-models.htm

We learned about the bikes from Barry and Karen Miller. They've been using the folding bikes for years in their 170. See
http://www.sojournchronicles.com/?p=112

I've not done much searching lately, but I'm guessing with the gas situation you'll find many more options today regarding folding bikes. I bought our two bikes out of a local Shopper magazine from a boater. Didn't pay much for them. Do wish I had the larger tires though. We've got the small tires and I'd buy the 20" knowing what I now know. Either the Speed or Mariner model look like good options. As I recall they reatail for around $400.

See this thread also for info.
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... lding+bike
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I've been able to put two full-size, non-folding bicycles in my 170 without removing the rear seat. I covered the seat with a sheet to protect it from bicycle grease, and removed both wheels of both bicycles. One of them was a road bike, the other was a trail bike with fatter, knobby tires. No tools required, with the quick-release hubs.

Aren't 170s great! :D :D

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I use a Montague folding Bicycle. Full size quality mountain bike and you could get two in the back of your 170 without taking out the back seat. By the way, my 170B came from Twin Oaks. Previous owner was Mike Deal.

Joe
4518C
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Ina and I have a pair of 6-speed foldup bikes bought from Camping World for less than $200.00ea. They work great. Here is the link for their current offerings;

Adventurer Six-Speed Folding Bike Everyday Members only Low Price: Members buy two for $299. Change quantity to two and receive the discount automatically in the shopping cart.
Easy-riding, Camping World exclusive folding bikes take you anywhere adventure calls.

http://www.campingworld.com/category/bikes/123
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Its been 20 years since I raced BMX and rode unicycles. But you guys may have motivated me to get my last remaining unicycle out and give it a try. It would easily fit in the 170. Its a Schwinn and hangs on the garage wall wondering why I keep it. Guess I just found out why. :D

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
markeg1964

Post by markeg1964 »

Thanks everyone for giving me your two cents – this is a great resource. I had not thought about putting bikes on top of the seat with the back rest folded down. I will give that a try.

My wife and I have camped once out of the 170 and are thinking about going this weekend although I have a feeling we will settle for a day flight instead. I was amazed how much we fit in the back without removing the seat.
Mark

Twin Oaks Airpark
1950 170A N5528C
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I use two Dahon's that fold and take out the rear seat back and use the seat belts to hold them. One sits behind the seat belted and the other on the seat belted. Works great.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

flat country pilot wrote:Its been 20 years since I raced BMX and rode unicycles. But you guys may have motivated me to get my last remaining unicycle out and give it a try. It would easily fit in the 170. Its a Schwinn and hangs on the garage wall wondering why I keep it. Guess I just found out why. :D
So, which is easier? Learning to ride a unicycle, or learning to fly an airplane? :) :)
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Joe Moilanen wrote:I use a Montague folding Bicycle. Full size quality mountain bike and you could get two in the back of your 170 without taking out the back seat. By the way, my 170B came from Twin Oaks. Previous owner was Mike Deal.

Joe
4518C
I also use a Montague folding Bike. I added collapsible pedals and a rear mud fender. Mine is all aluminum and only weighs 35 lbs. I took it to Big Creek Idaho this summer and rode it to the top of the mountain. I will now have to buy more Bicycle supplies. Spare chain tools etc. This is a full on mountain bike and agrees with my personality. It is a little more expensive and is not for just getting to the local 7-11 from the airport though it works equally well for that. They sell them at Spencer’s aircraft in Puyallup Washington and usually have a few models on display. Call ahead to see if they have any there before flying in. He let me take it for a test drive and I ended up buying the display model a little cheaper then suggested retail.

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
53B

Post by 53B »

I just ordered two folding bikes from the following:

http://www.vilanobikes.com/foldingbikes.html

I haven't received them yet but I suspect that they'll work just fine for the price. I'll report back when I get them.
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
jatkins

Post by jatkins »

jrenwick wrote:
flat country pilot wrote:Its been 20 years since I raced BMX and rode unicycles. But you guys may have motivated me to get my last remaining unicycle out and give it a try. It would easily fit in the 170. Its a Schwinn and hangs on the garage wall wondering why I keep it. Guess I just found out why. :D
So, which is easier? Learning to ride a unicycle, or learning to fly an airplane? :) :)
Hi John,

I read your posting about unicycles.

I can fly an airplane, but I have not mastered the unicyle.
Tricycle AC vrs Tailwheel AC is a bit like bicycle vrs unicycle.
I know Minn is a BIG unicycle hub in the US.

My son, Ryan Atkins was big into unicycling until 2 yrs ago.He used to hold several world records in unicycling. he is now into mountian biking .
If you go to you tube and search Ryan Atkins there are a few good clips, watch, A GOOD MOVIE PART 2 , go or to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EiOkoEee0

I should re attempt the unicyle.

John
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

jrenwick wrote:
John,

We should find some unsuspecting soul to do both and monitor their progress. :idea:

Take a teenager or a 25 year old who rides a unicycle and you could teach him to fly in a day.
Their coordination and confidence is unstoppable.

Take a 40 plus year old pilot and try to teach him to ride a unicycle, you have an up hill battle.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
jatkins

Post by jatkins »

Hi Bill,

Do you ride a unicycle ?
I am seriously considering getting Ryan to TRY to teach me ( again ) :lol:

He is 21 , his only interest in flying is to get to bike races.
( did you watch the video ? ) :mrgreen:

John
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

jatkins wrote: My son, Ryan Atkins was big into unicycling until 2 yrs ago.He used to hold several world records in unicycling. he is now into mountian biking .
If you go to you tube and search Ryan Atkins there are a few good clips, watch, A GOOD MOVIE PART 2 , go or to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EiOkoEee0
John, that was fun to watch. What a lot of talent! I've watched a class of young kids learning to ride unicycles in St. Paul. It takes quite a while. Some can do it, some don't. Thanks for sharing that!

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088