Do I need to keep my VHF Nav?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IA DPE

Re: Do I need to keep my VHF Nav?

Post by IA DPE »

The L3 Lynx has “ATAS” which is the aural traffic advisory.

Not sure if it can export traffic into a Garmin 650.

It is not an inexpensive solution to ADS-B, but I put one in my 170 and it works nicely.

https://www.l-3lynx.com/
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

IA DPE wrote:... Not sure if it can export traffic into a Garmin 650. ... .
According to L-3’s Support/FAQ page it can. That’s an impressive transponder.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
dstates

Post by dstates »

Well, I think I finally have a plan of attack. I have gone back and forth quite a bit, but I'll be installing a GNX 375 GPS/Transponder and G5 HSI and and will update to a SL30 or GNC 255 nav/com radio that will also drive the G5 HSI. This will save me quite a bit compared to a GTN 650 and new ADS-B transponder (as well as panel space).

I won't actually update the nav/com till next year's budget allows. But this path let's me make a large jump in functionality this year.

I found this video today and wanted to share it because he does a great job of answering my original question about do I need my ground based nav instruments. My final config will have it, but I really like how this guy explained it with the regs.

N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Garmin makes the GI-275 round dial vs. G-5 square. Since my panel is original I plan to install it or the UAvionix AV-30 PFD. Pretty amazing for an old tail dragger!
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

I installed the GNX 375 along with a GNC 255 and a GNC225 in March. I’m very happy with the result. I have the indicator switchable between the 375 and the 255.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Rich
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dstates wrote: I found this video today and wanted to share it because he does a great job of answering my original question about do I need my ground based nav instruments. My final config will have it, but I really like how this guy explained it with the regs.
I like his presentation also... however he speaks from the standpoint of an avionics sales person rather than from the flight-operations point of view, IMO.
I don’t like the idea of relying on communication w/ATC to navigate to an ASR or PAR approach. I don’t know if he’s looked at it .... or if he has only heard of them...but ASR and PAR approaches are not common anymore and even at the fewer airports that can offer them, they are not approaches with which most pilots have experience. The ASR is pretty simple but unless you’ve practiced PAR approaches ...they can be very difficult. It ain’t like in the movies.

BTW, anyone who’s flying around with minimum equipment might consider a quality hand-held comm/nav radio with VOR/ILS capability. I keep on within reach. An electrical failure is always possible. (And single-engine IFR should always be thought of in the light of “where can I find basic VFR to which I can descend?” IMO
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Since I’ve already installed an Appareo ESG transponder, and I’d like to have a second comm, my upgrade plan is a GNC 355 GPS/Comm driving a G5 HSI (replacing the vacuum DG). I plan on keeping my KX-155/KI-209 for ground-based nav, so I shouldn’t even need an indicator switch.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne