Re manufactured aircraft

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Re manufactured aircraft

Post by ghostflyer »

I have noticed in Barnstormers mag and company advertising about rebuilding Cessna 170b,s and other aircraft to near new condition for only 350,000 dollars. I would be very interested in the FAA ,s opinion on this practice . The remanufactures claim to change all hard ware and cables and electrical wiring and replace all skins etc. however they also make the claim that they fit wet wing fuel tanks. This is a major modification to the aircraft. I would be surprised that this could be covered by a STC. Plus a engine of over 200hp fitted to the airframe . The total improvement modifications mention would require a recertification of the aircraft. I may be wrong but if more than 20% change is done to a airframe or it’s flight characteristics a recertification has to be carried out. The concept of remanufacturing has merit but it provides a legal mine field. Some STC,s even though they are approved for that model aircraft also could need a engineering order to be fitted to that aircraft . Another point will the current flight manual cover the modifications and STC,s . The type data certificate would have to be endorsed for different modifications . Eg a increase on the all up max weight .
How I know this?
Well I have modified my aircraft with many STC,s /engineering orders, legal model options inclusions , and now have been warned that I am pushing the friendship with the authorities on my “improvements”. One has to be so careful on your improvements that you do . I was pinged just recently because I had put seat covers on my seats of my aircraft to protect them from the grease and dirt from my clothes. It wasn’t legal , no burn certificate . I purchased them from,Wal-Mart.
I am a engineer that jumps from aircraft to aircraft and climbing down in the holes of gunk and oil inspecting and doing all sorts of grubby stuff in aircraft. Now I have to,shower and put on my Tux before flying .
GAHorn

Re: Re manufactured aircraft

Post by GAHorn »

Seat covers not permanently attached are “loose equipment” here in the states, no different than your personal clothing. Do the Ozzie “authorities” check your hat and wifes travel-blanket for “flammability”? :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I think it is who is doing the ramp check that the degree of how of the ramp check goes.if it’s a very hot and humid day they want to get back to the air conditioning but if you are the only one on the tarmac and it’s cool different story and “Our” travel blanket in the aircraft is made of wool and and a layer of woven fibre glass cloth under under the wool. It was given to us under some promotion by some law firm.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have been redirected to another web site “Backcountry Pilots” and there is a section regarding the “new” built Cessna 170. OMG what a read. It’s over 4 pages long .
All very interesting and shows the mood of the GA community towards some thing of this nature . I will not go any further on this one as my legal bills could be sky high.