The first C170 in Ireland - ever!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gobrien

The first C170 in Ireland - ever!

Post by gobrien »

Barnstormers has a lot to answer for!

I'm 3/4 of the way through getting my PPL and was considering a kit build. I was looking hard at the Zenith CH750 and then almost settled on a Bearhawk and then ... barnstormers intervened.

N4180V - 1948 C170 - went in a shipping container in Huntsville, TX yesterday and she is on her way to Dublin, ETA 8 weeks (or so). Having suffered a ground loop and a sudden meeting with an airport sign she will need some care and attention before flying again. The plan is to de-register her from the N reg and she will rise again (hopefully next March) on an EI registration with a Permit to Fly which allows me to do a lot of the work myself overseen by an ILAS (http://www.ilas.ie) inspector.

I'm amazed at the amount of information you all have gathered here over the years and I expect to pester you for more over the next several months!

Anyway, Hi!

Gareth.
1948 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN SN:18513 - Dublin, Ireland
https://www.taildragger.eu/
4583C

Re: The first C170 in Ireland - ever!

Post by 4583C »

Gareth
Welcome to the 170 family! We journeyed to Ireland a year ago and I can only imagine seeing your beautiful country from the air. Keep us informed when the work begins. Paul Wood
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Great call, all the best, please keep us in the loop with your progress.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Gareth

Well done, there is a vast amount of information and knowledge here.
Not sure about Ireland but in the UK you can get the VAT reduced to 5% for vintage aircraft / cars.
Opening that container will be a great day.

Kevin
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

What I got out of this is the 2021 Convention is in Dublin.

Congrats and welcome
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

counsellj wrote:What I got out of this is the 2021 Convention is in Dublin.

Congrats and welcome
Via the "Blue Spruce" route! We'll all go "in-trail".

WELCOME Gareth!

I delivered a HS125 to Dublin years ago for "Anglo-Irish" beef company. Truly enjoyed Dublin.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Hi Kevin,

That's a nice thought! If the aircraft were for international commercial aviation and especially if it were owned by a foreign company, then there would be all sorts of tax exemptions. In Ireland anything that's for domestic use is taxed every which way they can imagine. I've set up a company to import the plane and buy any tools required to maintain it, fuel, hangar charges, etc. There will be a few of us flying her so each pilot (including me) will then wet rent it from the company, paying VAT on the rental rate. Ultimately it comes out much the same, it just means the big lump of up-front VAT on the purchase price can be reclaimed by the company.

Definitely looking forward to opening the container!

Gareth.
Kevin Pearce wrote:Gareth

Well done, there is a vast amount of information and knowledge here.
Not sure about Ireland but in the UK you can get the VAT reduced to 5% for vintage aircraft / cars.
Opening that container will be a great day.

Kevin
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gareth, that HS125 I delivered to Dublin was to be flown by a fellow named Anthony, last name Doyle I believe. (It's been awhile since 1986.) Previously he had flown an Aero Commander and subsequently I heard a rumor he'd died in a crash somewhere (not in the 125.) It's a small aviation world in Dublin. Did you know him?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

I didn't know Anthony. It is a small av world around here. However, I've only recently joined it. Most everyone I've met so far has been through National Flight Centre at Weston (EIWT). I've started meeting more though this project. I have noticed an above average ability in the community to spend time talking ... especially about anything aviation! :D
gahorn wrote:Gareth, that HS125 I delivered to Dublin was to be flown by a fellow named Anthony, last name Doyle I believe. (It's been awhile since 1986.) Previously he had flown an Aero Commander and subsequently I heard a rumor he'd died in a crash somewhere (not in the 125.) It's a small aviation world in Dublin. Did you know him?