ADS-B uavionix updates

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

ADS-B uavionix updates

Post by rupertjl »

I just wanted to let anyone who was tracking the uAvionix SkyBeacon that mine is in the mail. I received tracking number yesterday and ordered it Oct 18th. The website says orders placed now ship January and the person on the phone said they have ramped up production. I was able to get in on the second offering of the FAA rebate so that brings the total of the install to about $1400. I’ll update once I fly off the check flight for the FAA.
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
rupertjl

Re: ADS-B uavionix updates

Post by rupertjl »

Christmas came a bit early, the unit showed up on the 24th. I plan to install and fly off the performance flight prior to the new year. My annual runs out Dec 31st so I'm going to test how quick the install truly is!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In a related thread re: uAvionics tailBeacon I mentioned my local avionics dealer was quoting a Garmin GDL82 installed for $4200.
I figured his real msg was that he didn't want lightplane business because Garmin clearly indicates it to be a simple install.

I just got off the phone with Gulf Coast Avionics (Matt) who offers the unit at $1700 approx...but quotes installation at over $1600, saying that it takes almost 4 hours simply to program the unit AFTER installation. 8O He said that despite Garmin's advertising claims, he didn't think my local shop was that far out of line.

I mentioned the wingtip beacon is out and being sold and installed and flown in a few hours and he immediately started indicating that there is an issue and is why Garmin is suing uAvionics. He was quite confident Garmin will prevail. (Sounded a lot like a defensive-posture to me, since the uAvionics units are such a clear competition.) I told him that the courts will have to decide that but since uAvionics has been issued a patent, and the US Patent office would not likely issue it if it infringed Garmin or anyone else... right? He had no response. (I didn't point out to him that we already know Garmin can be misleading by their advertising claims... so why believe them regarding uAvionics?)

I hope this works out for our benefit in the long run, however it turns out.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I looked close at the Uavionix Skybeacon and the GDL 82. They were approximately the same cost, and I can do the install myself so it was really only my time/headache. The GDL 82 was much more involved to install, requiring mounting a box, running power and antenna wires, and installing 2 antennas top and bottom (GPS and ADS-B). The deal breaker for me was that top GPS antenna. I just didn't want to screw around trying to run a wire up there over the headliner.

I ordered the Skybeacon right around Thanksgiving, and hope to see it soon. Looking through the instructions, install should take about 20 minutes. I guess I can't speak to programming that one, but I programmed another Uavionix ADS-B box for my Dad's RV-8 (their experimental model) and that took about a half hour, including downloading the app onto my Iphone.

I'll admit the lawsuit worried me a bit. Also after the Naviworks debacle I was a little nervous about the small company/product line. But I heard enough good things about them that I took the chance.

DEM
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I flew my verification flight yesterday and failed it due to the Mode 3A reporting. I wasn't able to verify the threshold value worked at my airport due to lacking no ground radar and i didn't bother with trying to find a test set. I've adjusted the threshold value and found that if i just put the transponder to test, it verifies the squawk on the app. I'm going to wait until uAvionix gets back from the holiday (they say they're out of office until the 2nd) to make sure the value that produces a consistent Mode 3A report on the app is ok so i don't fly another 30 mins in rule airspace without knowing its good. But otherwise everything else came back good on the PAPR report from the FAA.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote: I just got off the phone with Gulf Coast Avionics (Matt) who offers the unit at $1700 approx...but quotes installation at over $1600, saying that it takes almost 4 hours simply to program the unit AFTER installation. 8O He said that despite Garmin's advertising claims, he didn't think my local shop was that far out of line.
Sounds like someone is feeding you some BS, programming the unit took me less then 15 minutes, I can't figure how this guy spent 4 hours programming it. Having said that it will take longer to install then the Uavionics unit so I hope they can work out their issues, and it would make it even easier if they included the 170 on their AML.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Jtramo

Post by Jtramo »

My Skybeacon shipped today so I’m excited to hear about others experiences with the install and test flights. I’m really happy with Uavionix so far, as they always got back to me with my questions (even on weekends) and when I mentioned I was nervous about the rebate being lost they moved me up the list. With my window for the rebate I doubt it woulda been an issue but they sent it just the same. I doubt that Garmin would be so effective with customer service. Considering how they actually never got back to me when I asked about it working with my “vintage” transponder.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:
gahorn wrote: I just got off the phone with Gulf Coast Avionics (Matt) who offers the unit at $1700 approx...but quotes installation at over $1600, saying that it takes almost 4 hours simply to program the unit AFTER installation. 8O He said that despite Garmin's advertising claims, he didn't think my local shop was that far out of line.
Sounds like someone is feeding you some BS, programming the unit took me less then 15 minutes, I can't figure how this guy spent 4 hours programming it. Having said that it will take longer to install then the Uavionics unit so I hope they can work out their issues, and it would make it even easier if they included the 170 on their AML.
Karl, that quote was in reference to the GDL82 Garmin unit, not the uAvionix.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:
lowNslow wrote:
Karl, that quote was in reference to the GDL82 Garmin unit, not the uAvionix.
That is what I'm saying, it only took me 15 minutes to program my GDL82. I don't know what the current shop rate is for an avionics shop is but $1600 seems awfully steep.
Karl
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thanks for that info, Karl. What was involved in it? Did you acquire the box thru an avionics dealer and do the complete install yourself?
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I bought the GDL82 from Chief Aircraft and installed it myself. It was a very straightforward and easy install but not as simple as the Uavionics unit. You do have to install a GPS antenna but can use your current transponder antenna for ADSB. The hardest part was building the connector. I also chose to install the "Anonymous Mode" switch and the warning light - both of these are not required.
Karl
ASW-20BL
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

lowNslow wrote:I bought the GDL82 from Chief Aircraft and installed it myself. It was a very straightforward and easy install but not as simple as the Uavionics unit. You do have to install a GPS antenna but can use your current transponder antenna for ADSB. The hardest part was building the connector. I also chose to install the "Anonymous Mode" switch and the warning light - both of these are not required.
Karl, are you an A&P/IA, and/or did you have any problem getting the installation and associated 337 signed off and how did you do the operational check (ground based equipment or flight test). Sorry for all the questions, just curious. :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I am an A&P but not an IA, my IA friend checked my work and signed the 337 which I created using the sample provided by Garmin. I did the flight test method.
Karl
ASW-20BL
Jtramo

Post by Jtramo »

I’m wondering about the legality of hooking up the strobes. It says if you don’t currently have strobes, stow the yellow wire. The argument is based off that and the fact that to get the strobes going you’d have to run an additional wire to a dedicated switch, which isn’t keeping with the simple plug and play method and a change to the overall system. With Uavionix offering the right side nav/strobe (not ADSB in anymore) soon for $500, I wonder what the point of paying that much for basically a matching dummy fin and nav bulb. Is there any easy way to get those “free” strobes legally working that wouldn’t require moving a federal mountain?
Last edited by Jtramo on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Why do you say they won't be making a Skysensor with ADSB-in for other than experimental? Quit frankly I don't know why the Skysensor couldn't be installed now.

I have a very old, strobe system that make so much noise we NEVER turn it on. And just this strobe system draws 5 amps. I'm looking forward to replacing this old expensive strobe system, waiting on the missing right side piece, and when I'm done, the aircraft may be ADS-B compliant for FREE for the trouble of the new strobe system. At least that is the spin I'm putting on it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com