Knowing your tire pressures

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Knowing your tire pressures

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I have just been shown the latest in gee wizz stuff. A friend just showed me how he checks his tire pressures on his aircraft. He has fitted a valve cap to each wheel which has a wi fi transmitter and via a ap and his phone he checks his tire pressures any time without having to get dirty or rotate wheels around to match up with cutouts in his wheel pants .
Even before landing ,he knows if he has a flat tire or such. Warning... this is a automotive product but so cool.
He explained he checked the accuracy with a digital pressure gauge and they were spot on .
counsellj

Re: Knowing your tire pressures

Post by counsellj »

What product was it? Name? Link? I would love to look into them. Thanks
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

These have been around for a while in the RV stores (campers not aircraft). I have them on my glider trailer and they work fine.
Just do a search for "wireless tire pressure monitor" and you'll see all kind of places where you can buy them, including Amazon.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

They are usually sold for recreational vehicles and trailers and motorcycles, etc. They are no more un-airworthy than your usual automotive tire/tube valve dust cover is. :?
The downside is they replace your usual dust-caps on the Schrader valve and therefore always keep your valve OPEN... therefore add a possibility of continuous air leak. The upside is... you'll know it when it happens...you just won't know WHY it happened. While they usually also cost in the several hundreds, there's a few cheapies (which doubtless are of lower quality): https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/pi ... ame=sp_atf
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)