Engine upgrade

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Agpilot27

Engine upgrade

Post by Agpilot27 »

Have a 48 with an 0300, having a difficult time getting my hands on stc for io360. Has anyone accomplished a field approval for similar installations?
DaveF

Re: Engine upgrade

Post by DaveF »

Start here! Lots of discussion in other threads on the site.
170C

Post by 170C »

That would be a nice conversion. Sounds like nothing $40-$50k wouldn't fix.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

For the last 11 months I have watched a Continental [IO-360] being fitted to a 172 A. The owner and modifier works in the aviation industry as a mechanic and his work is first class. I have said nothing during this process as I know very little about this modification but gave him encouragement as he progressed.Terry [owner and modifier] has ask different advice from different people around the airport . I think he was getting different opinions for knowledge or to reinforce his own opinions. I know he watched me intensely when I did my modifications [lycoming fittment] due to the curley questions he asked me .
Basicaly what I am saying he went in to this with his eyes open . The test flight [yesterday] went smoothly , but when some one in the group asked him after the test flight was it all worth it ? terry exploded , “never ever again would I do that mod”, it was too bloody complex and expensive . I know he was always scrounging parts and modifying this and that. I feel he didn’t have the back up from the STC holder .His last comment was “should have bought that 182 that had the nose gear collapsed.