Original Paint Scheme Revisited

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rnealon1

Original Paint Scheme Revisited

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi All

New '54 170B owners and Association members.

Looking through logs have not found any evidence of a paint job. Any chance this is the original?

20181018_172504.jpg
20181018_172455.jpg
20181018_172444.jpg
20181018_172438.jpg
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Ryan Smith

Re: Original Paint Scheme Revisited

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’d wager a large sum on “zero”.

My airplane was painted and new interior put in in 1962. No record of that in the logbook either.

Beautiful airplane, though. Congrats on the new purchase! Where are you located?
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Your aircraft has the Benham or Bartone Exhaust, and the lower cowl has the original exhaust holes covered over and painted. Also the baggage door has been added. Both are desirable modifications, but not original, and since the paint seems to match that of the rest of the airplane I’d agree with Ryan there is little chance of “original” paint.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Thanks for the information. Aircraft is in Connecticut. Hard to believe it could be the original paint but was wondering if it is an original scheme.

Baggage door was added along with a number of mods; still digging through the logs and 337s.
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

“Original” is a word that deserves a trigger warning for some on here. 8)

No clue what was original to your airplane without a packing slip or sales sheet. Dillon Barron went to great lengths to restore his ‘54 to its factory original comfiguration. The stock factory scheme is below, and you had your choice of red or blue that year.

There appear to be some design elements that were inspired by several different year model color schemes. The two-tone green is very attractive. Are you looking to repaint or simply researching what you have?
Attachments
B074ECB8-3FD7-482B-B492-945A0292E49F.jpeg
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Screenshot_20180925-205657.jpg
Screenshot_20180925-205709.jpg
Hi Thanks for the photo! I understand the "original" connotation; will definitely need to repaint in the next few years. Kind of like the green but always like a classic look.

Found the above brochures but are probably for earlier model.
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As pointed out, most certainly, this is not an original paint. It is not an original scheme with the base of white added either though elements of the scheme can be seen in various model year paint schemes.

The picture of Barron's '54 is what your airplane looked like scheme wise if it is a '54 when it left the factory. As Ryan stated the other color in '54 was a deep red, almost maroon.

I say if you plane is a '54 because your serial number will determine what model year it is, not your FAA paperwork. As far as the FAA is concerned the date the aircraft was first registered is the year no matter if it was a '54 serial licensed in late '53 or a left over '53 licensed in '54. Your serial is everything. Determining the year between a '53 and '54 is difficult in pictures cause there are few differences one can see in a most pictures.

Here is where we've collected pictures and such from each year: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=31
As most 170s had modifications even most of our document pictures are not 100% accurate as some aircraft have the wrong spinner or some other detail that was not part of the model year but over all most of the pictures are the best we have collected.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome to the association, really like the colours of your plane. Good luck with her.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

"Original" … is highly over-rated in most cases for most people. Even those airplanes that appear "original" there are invariably many things not original. I doubt if any of the Oshkosh winners have fabric-covered wiring. Or Exide batteries. Or hollow axles. Or they have strobes. The list is long.
But to those of us who admire originality... those things are forgivable....and the things which are considered wildly un-original are things like VGs, wing-cuffs and fences, strut-fairings, flap/ailerons gap-seals, drooped wingtips, etc etc....even tho' some or most of those have good benefits enjoyed by their owners.
Those who have highly modified or customized airplanes often take offense when the originality-"nuts" don't care for their mods, and sometimes it's given over to hard feelings needlessly. (I'm often surprised when someone expresses dis-favor (trans: anger) over an assumption that I'm critical of their airplane simply because of my signature (which was created in an effort at humor but which many have thought serious. Some take their assumptions personally... when the assumption is actually their own.)
Although my airplane was once judged "Best Original" ...in actual fact it has so many mods that if they were each/all noticed by the judges might have slipped into the "custom" category.... Yet I personally very much admire original-appearing airplanes.
Each to his own. We're all supposed to be friends here and admirers of Cessna 170s first.

Congrats on getting your airplane!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Can anyone (Bruce?) tell the model year based on Serial Number 26181?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rnealon1 wrote:Can anyone (Bruce?) tell the model year based on Serial Number 26181?

Thanks,

Bob
1954 year model
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Thanks!

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT