Wing Covers?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tomrollman

Wing Covers?

Post by tomrollman »

Does anyone know if wing and engine covers for a 172 will fit a 170B? Thanks!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Wing Covers?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well, the wing is the same assuming it is a stock wing and tips. Antenna placement might be an issue. I'd think but don't know that engine covers, if you talking about canvas covering the cowling, would also work.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
pdb

Post by pdb »

Tom,

If you intend to fly in the winter, you need decent wing and engine covers. Good used ones show up on Craigslist and AlaskaList from time to time, on bulletin boards at MRI and BCV, etc, and used ones sometimes show up in the used equipment area at Stoddards at Merrill Field. You can call Stoddard’s periodically (https://www.stoddardairparts.com) to see if any used ones are available.

Wing covers in particular need to fit properly or the wind will damage your aircraft. If you buy anything used, just make the purchase subject to checking that they fit your plane. Don’t assume they fit.

FYI, it’s best to take them off if it’s going to get really windy unless you have spoilers and mesh covers. You should research wing covers on this board.

An insulated and tightly fitting engine cover is also essential to ensure adequate and efficient preheating. Your failure to preheat adequately will substantially shorten your engine life. The mere fact that you can start your engine does not mean that you did an adequate job of preheating. This is another topic that you should research on this board as well.

If you end up having to buy a new set of covers, you won’t have to drive far. http://alaskawingcovers.com/ContactUs.html
Tell Linda that you want the older style 170 cowel cover. Her newer one does not fit as well as her older style.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I completely agree with Pete, Linda is the one to go-to to get wing, prop, windshield, tail, and engine covers. I have a 35 year old set I still use on my C180. She has patched, repaired, and modified them several times over the years and they are faded but still in good shape.

She will also come to your plane and make custom covers if you have any mods that prevent standard covers from fitting, like modified wing tips, wing extensions, or antenna installations. She came out to my hangar and measured and made a complete set of custom covers for my C195 13 years ago. She made patterns if anyone else needed a set. Beautiful work.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!