Max baggage weight

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Max baggage weight

Post by ghostflyer »

George , so glad that you have contacted Cessna regarding baggage area max weight allowed. When I originally purchased my aircraft it had a metal decal stating that it was only allowed 64 lbs. I asked around regarding this and was told 64lbs was the normal and as per type cert. But was told it was a misprint as other Cessna,s of similar model had different carrying capacities. At least I know how the urban myth evolved around this misprint . I am now not going on a guilt trip now if I stuff 70 lbs in there. Some of the gear that I stuff in there “looks “ 64 lbs or less . What started this off was a number of years ago I was shown a “fifth seat “ that could be fitted to a 170 in the baggage area. I told the seller of the seat it wasn’t legal due to weight / distribution and no STC or approval from Cessna . You would have to be a very small child , but no way would I put some one there . Looking forward to further information on this matter .
pdb

Re: Max baggage weight

Post by pdb »

B31E907D-6A92-4161-824D-E1E436D8D639.jpeg
Partial TCDS
Partial TCDS
The US TCDS for the 170B is unambiguous and the loading chart in my manual shows the same 120 lb limit for baggage.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

As previously mentioned, the TCDS has a history of errors...some of which are still extant. The loading graph also shows 440 lbs of pilots. That would mean Gary Hanson and I cannot fly together.... with regard to weight.* You don't find such limitations in the form of placards or in the TCDS. Therefore, the graph is hardly defining, IMO.

*(there are certainly other valid reasons he and I should not occupy the same airplane.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
pdb

Post by pdb »

George....

I don’t completely understand your comment. Are the TCDS, the Aircraft owner’s manual, and the AFM all wrong? This bit is from the AFM. They all limit the baggage to 120 lbs. Were they subsequently revised, is this an extant error, or did I miss a joke somewhere along the line... other than the part about you and Gary.
60A45DD3-6C93-4600-9B42-C628EAD8A8DE.jpeg
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Pete, your AFM applies to your B model and is correct as it refers to bag wt limits for that airplane.
In another discussion thread about Internal Placards as they are applicable to all three models, the 170, 170A, and 170B, there is some confusion about the ragwing, but otherwise 170s have 120 lbs allowed.. The TCDS states that all three models have 120 lb bag limits, however the 170 placard states 100 lbs as does the OM and IPC. It's my observation the TCDS has some errors, as does the IPC with regard to all three models.

Hope that helps.

(Also you might note that your AFM does not mention the 10-degree flap setting which is certainly applicable should your airplane be a later serial ….OR... if it should have the latest flap-sector installed.) :wink:

(Italicized text was corrected by editing)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

My B model is placarded with a 120 lbs max baggage area weight. It's been on there a LOT longer than the 10 years I've owned the plane 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well it’s hasnt been easy ,but tracked down one of the original committee member owners about some of the “interesting “ or odd “modifications “ done to this aircraft during their attempted rebuild. My aircraft has the seaplane mod fitted to the left hand side of the aircraft only .???? Why not the right hand side?? Then there was the 64 lb placard in the baggage area. There is a list of odd repairs or mods but he wasn’t going to tell me or he didn’t know . [alcohol induced memory loss over the years ]We have both metric and imperial standards in this country with the metric now becoming the norm. He thinks that some one originally tried to do the conversion to kilos and then got it wrong with the placard . It was hard work extracting information as he often blamed some else,but he was the one signing for the aircraft work. Most of the repairs were redone and illegal mods removed . But the biggest hit was ,they had purchased a baggage door STC and he had a baggage door and surrounding structure /paperwork in his garage . They had never been incorporated . After they sold the aircraft to another group and then when I purchased it , I then bought the STC from Harry and incorporated it . He gave me 90% of the old paper work [which had been on a bench for years ]but the aircraft parts were very heavily corroded after all the dust and dirt from the garage floor.

There many things why I love owning a 170 , yes flying it and modifying it but tracing down the history and original parts for it . I would be a rich man if I asked a dollar for everybody that poked their head in my hangar when I was rebuilding my aircraft and told me ,” I used to fly that aircraft in New Guinea or Thailand , Burma or some place in northern Australia .
[OOPS, nearly forgot also going to the conventions and meeting everybody ]