Importing onto the N register

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kevin Pearce

Importing onto the N register

Post by Kevin Pearce »

I have been looking for a 170B for nearly a year now, and have found one overseas through a friend. It has been owned for 30 years and cherished by its owner.
From what I have been able to read, it looks like a Export CofA is not really required, as the IA and DAR will look at the aircraft and paperwork from scratch to check compliance with AD’s, SB’s and modifications. There would be sixty years of mods through a fairly strict airworthiness authority, hopefully covered by STC’s.
If anyone has any advice it woukd be much appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
lowNslow

Re: Importing onto the N register

Post by lowNslow »

Kevin, just to be clear, are you wanting to buy a 170B in the states and export it to the UK?
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

I have been looking in the States, but the current example is outside the States. I want to ship it into the UK and then put it onto the N register and operate it here in Europe. I am familiar with operating N reg in the UK, but I have not imported onto the N reg from a country outside the States.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Basically the airplane would need to pass a type design inspection. That means every mod, repair, etc... would have to be FAA approved. Do you really think a 60 year old airplane could honestly pass such an inspection? Even if everything is meticulously documented, you'd still need the FAA to buy off on all of it. If anything is field approved, you'll basically need to have re-approved by the FAA. STC's would need to FAA validated.

You would either need to buy a time capsule (which you probably wouldn't want), or need a really sympathetic DAR. I'm not saying don't, or that it can't. But any savings from a "deal" will probably be eaten up in compliance costs.

DEM
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

It can be done [well 5 years ago ]. You must have all the paper work in triplicates and then photo copy that again. FAA will loose some of the paper work. I would take all the paper work to a FAA delegate [UK] and let him look at . If all parts are traceable and mods are STC,d or approved by Cessna and there is a data plates on all major components ,there isn’t any issues . Maybe we were lucky, but it wasn’t that horrendous experience. I did a Cessna 180 about 5 years ago here in Australia . This guy was flying around the world in it . That was his plan . He met some woman in Europe and that’s where he stayed. But go and have a talk with your FAA guy
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Thanks for all the advice, it is really helpful.
The aircraft is not a “deal” as such, but has been owned for thirty years and is very good condition.
It is based in Australia and has undergone the SIDS inspection and compulsory control cable replacement.
Mods, parts traceability and repairs could be the big problem.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Kevin ,
I could be assistance as I am based in Australia and if you give me the 3 letters of registration of that aircraft it would make it simple , the sids program is very invasive and thorough. However the cable replacement program has been amended and total replacement is not necessary only a inspection is necessary . However the amended cable program only came out after every body had changed their cables . I have been slowly changing my cables of the years . All mods /parts are done with ERASA and FAA compliance . Send me a email via the club web site if you wish .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kevin, Ghostflyer would be a good resource for you... but if the aircraft is NOT on the U.S. registry...and if you intend to register it as such, it will likely need the C of A Inspection (Import C/A) to get it onto the N-registry. It's as if it is being re-imported to the U.S. and will have to meet the issuance of a Standard U.S. Airworthiness, I believe.

On the other hand, if it's already on the U.S. registry with an assigned N-number... then you should be OK.

( I once went thru a similar experience with a different make/model aircraft... A DH-125 being taken back to jolly-ol'... The cockpit ash-trays had been removed and the square holes into which they normally were inserted were open.... The inspector insisted the holes be patched over with METAL before he'd sign off on the C of A inspection. We used aluminum-foil painters tape and he confessed that met the requirement if not the intent.) :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)