What’s the story of how you got your 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: What’s the story of how you got your 170?

Post by 170C »

Growing up on a farm in west TX, I always liked airplanes. Could see them on occasion when they were going into or out of Abilene Municipal Airport and the smaller ones out just flying by our farm. Never could figure out how to afford to fly (still haven't) as I felt one had to be in the military, airlines or rich. Finally determined the first two weren't required, but the third one sure would help! Got involved in a museum in Fort Worth with the goal of restoring a B-36 (big enough goal?). We moved it across FW and accumulated numerous other planes. Then at some point my wife, at Christmas 1983, gave me a check and said that all I ever did was fool with old, non flying planes, read aviation magazines and go to airshows so while this check won't pay for all the training, it would get me started. Well she opened Pandora's Box. Started my training and three weeks before my check ride we purchased a C-182, kept it a few years, sold it and I bought a C-140A. Kept it for a few years and sold it so I could buy a 4 place Cessna. Looked long and hard to find a 170 like I wanted. They were either dogs or beyond my budget. I had tunnel vision that I could only spend a set amount. After flying all over west and northern TX looking at 170's I spotted a plane at Northwest Regional in the FW area. First thought it was a C-180 (wished it had of been), but upon closer investigation found it to be a '56 C-172 that had been converted to a tail wheel plane. That was in September 1989 and 6888A has been part of our family ever since. She's taken us over much of the US and into Canada a couple of times mostly thanks to the International Cessna 170 Association. The assn has been like a family and we have met so many folks and have traveled to so many places. Hope to continue to do so for a long time.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Azpilot

Post by Azpilot »

170B+ A.K.A. "Mistress"

My father and I have bought and sold aircraft over the years. We had just sold a Aeronca L-16A to a gentleman that was in Missouri. We took some of the money and purchased two Interstate Cadet projects that we began to restore. Along the way we had seen N3JX pop up for sale for a few times, but he always wanted cash on top of my aircraft. We eventually settled and I've had it ever since.

So far its been a damn good and quick airplane.
1952/1996 C170B Turbo. Why? Because, thats why.
CFI/CFII at KDYL
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Dad had a 170B N2811C (fellow member owned now) when i was a kid. Around 2010 I finally decided to get an airplane and it was a 170B. Found a nice one in California and rode the big iron out to bring her home. Was a great flight, took dad with me and we had a great trip back to Alabama.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
pdb

Post by pdb »

In 1975 or ‘76, a friend and I made an offer on a Seattle based 170. We agreed on the price and terms in writing but when we called to get directions to meet to consummate the sale, the seller reneged, having sold it to his mechanic. In 1996 or so, another seller reneged. I was of course older now and was ready to let the seller have it (legally) but he instead referred me to a friend who had a similar plane a bit cheaper. It was actually in better condition and I still own it, 22 years later.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
VernH

Post by VernH »

It finally occurred to me that I wasn't getting younger and had started flying tailwheels again. The aircraft in the area available for rent were very difficult to schedule due to the limited number, then someone wrecked one, then another. I decided to find my own so I started looking for a 120/140, Luscombe, Cub. I then felt I would really like to have a back seat for the occasional passenger or cargo so that led me to the 170 or Stinson 108. Earlier I was walking around the airport where my EAA chapter lives and saw a 170 laying under a shade hangar. She looked like she had been there a long time. I did some research, contacted the owner and we reached an agreement. "Baby Love" needed a lot of work but she is back in the air now and a great airplane. I really enjoy our flights but I also enjoy just being in the hangar with her. I am only the current caretaker and I am trying to maintain 70 years of history for the next generation. Until then 53C, and I are enjoying our time together.
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This Thread is Usless without Pichurs!
Attachments
This Thread is Useless without PIchURS
This Thread is Useless without PIchURS
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)