Ditching

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Ditching

Post by GAHorn »

A video of a WW2 ditching experiment using a B24 demonstrated that airplane didn't do well in the water. It usually broke up at the weak point of it's Bomb bay doors. The Flight Engineer/Top Turret Gunners position often broke loose and came forward and down into the cockpit where it took out the rest of the flight crew.
A high wing Cessna usually ends up nose-down in the water, so if you ever ditch... remember to swim towards the TAIL, because you'll doubtless be very disoriented after hanging upside down from your harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjadMxpXprk

Here's an AOPA video on how to ditch a GA airplane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gz9ogCtkeI

Here's how to survive open water ditching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o5GX6-XkEM
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Hawkeyenfo

Re: Ditching

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Upside down and backwards....just like the Dilbert Dunker rides we were treated to back at API in Pensacola!!
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

No body mentioned the sharks. In the northern part of our country we have crocodiles in the water also . So if you survive the ditching you will not survive the nasties . I think I will stick to terra ferma. But it was interesting video ,thank you for that.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

So, if you roll the plane inverted just before you ditch, will it pitch back over right side up?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Here is the first instance I can remember of a fixed-gear airplane staying upright in a ditching.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Yep, that big fat high lift-high drag Piper wing came in handy that time with a pilot who knew how to fly it.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

In video of the Pawnee, I thought for a second he was going to blow it and stall about 10 ft high, he recovered. Because of illusion he probably thought he was about to hit the water but was high.

I always thought if I had to ditch I'd attempt to drag the tail in the water with the mains just out of the water in a nose high attitude for the best chance the plane won't roll over. As practice would make perfect, I'm sure I could get that down by my 5th or 6th ditching. :roll:

I have to say, of all my Army flight training and all I've had after, at the very top of the list that I think will save my life in a ditching situation, was dunker training I received at Survival Systems in Groton, CT. My employer, Liberty Helicopters, paid for the training. In my class was about 8 NYPD pilots who also flew for Liberty. These guys pushed the training to the max, not satisfied with just the minimum training. I was along for the ride. We must have hit the water 20 times that day. It was becoming a game, but a good one. At the end of the day on out last dunk, 6 guys packed in the dunker, in the dark, inverted roll, all occupants exiting from the door opposite their seat, which means we had to cross over of under the others doing the same thing, and then climb out of the water up a cargo net. I was so tired I could not pull my clothed wet weight out of the water on the net which was the last learning experience. Surviving the ditching is part one, getting out of the water into the rescue boat can be just as challenging.

If you ever get a chance to do dunker training, take it. You will never forget the lessons learned and it will be worth what ever it cost.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Some of my TN Flybuddies have had a discussion regarding whether to go into the TN River or the trees should we have an engine failure with those being the only two options. One of our favorite breakfast/lunch stops is Houston County/Southernair Rest. (M93) There really aren't other options if she quits right after takeoff. I favor the trees, but always wonder what others would suggest.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I think you'd have a much higher survival rate flying controlled into trees than water.

Trees and wings absorb a lot of energy. You'll be busted up but you wont be fighting life and death for your next breath a half second after landing like you are in the water.

A water landing is an immediate survival situation. You're already breathing hard from the adrenaline, you're disoriented from the impact and flip, you're possibly injured and you might barely have enough time to save yourself but will surely die if you try to help a passenger who is just as out of breath, disoriented, injured and panicked as you are.

People drown trying to save a distressed swimmer without an airplane wrapped around them.

I'll take the trees and as many broken bones as needed to avoid the water.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

That would be a hard call beforehand. I think I would just look at the situation and available options and make a decision. You will always have a certain amount of time to make a decision. I have talked to Idaho Air Taxi pilots and they say you won't ever burn if you land in the river. Fire is another factor to consider and if landing in rocks or even trees it is very probable there would be a fire unless you know you already used all the gas.

I have often thought about ditching while flying across water in Alaska and always promised myself I would not die in cold water. There are lots of shallow water shorelines/beaches where a pilot could land in water that would absorb a lot of energy without burning and still be able to get to shore quickly. I agree dragging it in nose-high and trying to touch the tail first as slow as possible would be the best plan. If there is time you can unlatch the doors and close the deadbolt with the door open if possible would improve chances of getting out. Of course, if it rolls upside down and you're trapped, it's all over. But that is also true on land in a fire situation.

Staying out of those situations is the best plan using good maintenance and good decisions to lower the risks.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!