Leather control yokes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

strangebird

Leather control yokes

Post by strangebird »

Hello all:

Does anyone have a pictures of control yokes that have used Warren Gregoire and Associates? and how did they work out?

<edit: the original link provided in this post was detected to be corrupted/pirated… the moderator has revalidated/refreshed the link>

https://controlyokecovers.com/

Or any other method where leather has been used as on auto mobile steering wheels?, also any one that does this type of work?

I am not looking for the lace it up type used in cars that while functional is not what I want to use.

Thanks
MoonlightVFR

Re: Leather control yokes

Post by MoonlightVFR »

This almost makes me think: Commercial Advertisement

Almost just almost
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

MoonlightVFR wrote:This almost makes me think: Commercial Advertisement

Almost just almost
Grady, it would be impossible to discuss any product or link to it for discussion without giving it some advertisement value. I can't help but think of all the products we've pointed your direction. For example recently the most important F4 tape. :D

The moderators take intentional blatant commercial advertisement spamming pretty seriously.

Strangebird is, and remains in good standing here.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

Let me assure you I am in no way connected to any product, I am only trying for find out what others experiences have been with afore mentioned company before I buy the product mentioned or what alternates have been used, this if fact gathering only, no differnt than others commenting on Airtex interiors or other products that someone might have used or purchased. not a comercial in any way or form.

I am looking for alternatives to repainting or powder coating the yokes, while less expensive, not the look I am looking for.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I think if I was to leather wrap the yokes, I'd seek out a local custom upholstery shop to do it.
DIY Kits never seem to have the same fit and finish as a pro doing it and I don't think the cost would be much more.

I did leather wrap the outside corner of the yoke twice. Once sewn and once wrapped. I think if I did it another 5 times I'd get the hang of it.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Dear Strange, here is a photo of a yoke that was done in 2003 by Cygnet Aerospace. Held up very well so far and has both a nice feel and look. It did come back inverted from Cygnet.
PTT switch.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

Thank you the advise what I was looking for I will seek out some that did the nice job that John has that is perfect!
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I must admit that my post was a little "tongue in cheek"

I actually am in market for "leather covered assist straps" for C170B.

Mine were recovered in pigskin many decades ago and their best days have long gone.

Noted stitched Connolly Leather in a Land Rover. Tan color.

Their leather was apparently used in airplanes during World War 2.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I sent mine to SCS Interiors and they did a wonderful job.
John
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

On BeechTalk’s website Tim Hallock of Aviation Design just north of me in Groveland, CA comes highly recommended. His website shows numerous awards his interior work has helped garner.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary