Tall pilot in a 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CloudbaseEngineering

Tall pilot in a 170?

Post by CloudbaseEngineering »

Hello All,

I am still a student pilot (been on the 2 year plan with life distractions) with only my XC flights remaining. I hope to get back to flying in the next month or so to finish this up. I am currently renting a 172N. I am 6'3" tall, 230lbs and my fiance is 6'0" 150 lb or so.. I am curious if I will fit in the narrow body of the 170 and early 172/175/182. I have tried on quite few aircraft and found that I don't fit.
Taylorcraft was a tight fit, bot once in was not as bad as i thought. Tested on ground only.
Piper Pacer was a tight fit as well, but I fit better than I did in Tcart. In turbulence, I hit my head on a crossbar but with a seat position mod it may not be as much of an issue.
I tried Stinson 108 on for size but just on the ground and was surprised to find it was tight as well. and would require seat modding as well.
My shins hit a Cessna 150 panel in such a way its not an option either.

So my question is, how much different is the narrow body 170 in comparison the 172N I am renting. I fit quite comfortably in the 172N. No problem with legs and panel or Headroom. I have a good friend with a 56 172, but its in the midst of a tailwheel STC mod so the interior is not in so I cant try it myself. Also does anyone have a Cessna 170 or other narrow body cessna in the Los Angeles area that I could sit in?

While I am still a student pilot, I flew sailplanes for years as well as hangliders so flying is not new to me and through my sailplane experience, I know how to use my feet quite well. As with most sailplanes it requires flying it even on the ground roll out until the wings were too slow to keep the tips up or more importantly a wing low in a crosswind which I would imagine would be similar in attention to the issues of a TW landing; I am curious if this experience will help the transition into a tailwheel airplane. As for a TW aircraft, where does the 170 rank on tailwheel handling for low time pilots. I hear the Stinson 108 is about as friendly as they get with the pacer being on the other spectrum.

My goal is to do a bit of airplane camping and hope to be able to visit a few of the Idaho back country locations when I have the skills to do so. I would like a 170, but i am not opposed to an early 172 or 175 nosedragger.

Best regards,

Marc
canav8

Re: Tall pilot in a 170?

Post by canav8 »

Marc it really depends on where your length is. Is it in your legs or Torso? If it is your legs no problem. If it is in your torso, you could hit the ceiling with your headset. Generally not a problem. If you fit in the 172's you will fit in the 170. It is not that way for most taildraggers though. If the aircraft has pedestal seats you will probably fit. The Cessna series like the 120,140 you will not fit for the same reasons as the 150. Anything bigger then a 170 should not be a problem. I am 6'4 and 240. Its fun to watch me get out of a 140 or the supercub for that fact. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Mark,

I'm 6' 3" and weigh 310 pounds and have no problems fitting in a 170. I have pretty broad shoulders (even when I don't weigh as much) and my dad (same frame size, less weight) an I fit in our 1952 B model just fine. The longest trip we made was from North Carolina to Coushatta, LA (around 7 hours each way) and I felt fine after the trip, though we stopped every 2.5 hours or so.

You could go for a 195 and eliminate all doubt. :lol:

Good luck.
Last edited by Ryan Smith on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akgreg

Post by akgreg »

I am 6'4" and 230 and fit just fine...well..I guess saying fine is related to your definition of COZY. I fly often with someone that is also my size and yes it is a little bit snug, but not uncomfortable at all. I tried getting in a 150 before I got my 170 and realized about 1/2 way in, that it wasn't going to be pretty and opted to end the test right then and there. It's not 206 roomy, but plenty comfortable for me.
Attachments
image.jpg
akgreg
CloudbaseEngineering

Ryan Smith wrote:Mark,

I'm 6' 4" and weigh 310 pounds and have no problems fitting in a 170. I have pretty broad shoulders (even when I don't weigh as much) and my dad (same frame size, less weight) an I fit in our 1952 B model just fine. The longest trip we made was from North Carolina to Coushatta, LA (around 7 hours each way) and I felt fine after the trip, though we stopped every 2.5 hours or so.

You could go for a 195 and eliminate all doubt. :lol:

Good luck.
Hello Ryan,

Thanks for the info. I can barely afford a 170 so unfortunately a 195 is so not in the cards... :( Maybe one day...

Marc
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I'm only 6'1" and find myself ducking my head down to look out the side windows. Not a terrible thing but I hope to have it resolved with my news seats :D

If you go 170 or 172 or even 195, be sure to join our association as there is a wealth of information here about taking care of these old birds.
CloudbaseEngineering

I find i have to duck to look out in the 172n. So long as my head does not rub the roof i think i will be good. Anyone have one near los angeles i can have a seat in?

Best regards

Marc
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Marc-
I think you will really enjoy flying a C-170. They are great airplanes and one of the best tailwheel trainers out there. Like the C-120 and C-140, the springy landing gear is a challenge to get used to but not overwelmingly difficult and the stock C-170 is not overpowered so you have to learn how to fly the plane and not depend on the throttle to pull you out of a jamb.

Aren't all sailplanes taildraggers? You should have no trouble at all in the transition with your experience. You will never regret it if you get a 170 instead of a 172. Just find an instructor who is already competent in Cessna taildraggers and you'll be in good hands.

I am only 6'0" and 195lb but at times even for me when there are two large people in the front seats, it really helps the comfort level if the person not flying can position their seat a few inches aft of the person flying. This way each person has more shoulder and elbow room and it is much more comfortable for both. Also, later model articulated front seats which have adjustable height and backrests can be installed which give more headroom clearance and can be reclined somewhat which may be more comfortable for folks with larger bodies. Even if original seats are used, they can be reupholstered with thinner cushion material to improve headroom. Overstuffed seats can seriously reduce the headroom.

Hope some of this helps your decision. Good luck on your search.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
rsharp

Post by rsharp »

Hi Marc,
I am 5'9" and my wife is 6'0"; when we go flying/camping/etc. in the 170B she sits a bit aft from me and we are comfortable. Where are you in LA? I am a CFII based at KHHR and fly a 170B as well as some other less interesting aircraft. PM me if you like and perhaps we could arrange to meet and sit in the "B"
--
Rick Sharp, CFII
CloudbaseEngineering

Hello Rick,

Thank you for the reply. Even in the 172N my instructor and i try and stagger the seats a bit and it works out fine. I see your in Hawthorne. I fly out of Van Nuys for my lessons, but its been a while since I had one due to a family illness and the development of my strut camera mount taking much of my time as of late. I am also a member of EAA chapter 40 based at KWHP and find myself there more often. Despite all the craziness at times, I still get out to the EAA hanger at least once a week after work to work on our club project as it still allows me to be involve din some aspect of aviation while I am too busy to fly. Now that the time changed, I may swap the club project for after work lessons. This weekend I am likely booked with an auto repair, but could schedule a day next week either after work or on a weekend day. I work in Hollywood and my guess its about 40 minutes in after work traffic to get to Hawthorn.

Best regards,

Marc
BWeathered

Post by BWeathered »

I am 6'9" and weigh 320, and I have been flying a stock A model since 1982. Ironically, the C-195 may not really be an option for a very tall pilot. For some of us, the limitation is knee rook under the panel or, in the case of a C-195 or Bonanzas, the external yoke often interferes with knees and shins. I have flown Piper Arrows, Comanches, and even Mooneys, but can't get full control movements in a C-195 :(

Brent
'49 C170A
BWeathered

Post by BWeathered »

Well, not that model, but a little King Air time and I got to do three weeks in a sim in Miami for the Pilot Initial for the B757. The sad truth is that, no matter large the vehicle (plane, tank, truck, ocean liner, etc.) the cockpit is nearly always designed for the 95th percentile person...which I ain't! Oddly, one of the most comfortable cars I ever owned was a 1983 Toyota Celica. My guess is the Japanese designers were overestimating how big us westerners are a bit in the early eighties. Us really tall guys do tend to learn to adapt to what is available, though, through necessity.

Brent
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

If you have two big people upfront just watch the forward CG if you have full tanks, I think you will be right on the envelope edge or outside it even,
BWeathered

Post by BWeathered »

strangebird wrote:If you have two big people upfront just watch the forward CG if you have full tanks, I think you will be right on the envelope edge or outside it even,

Yep, but since it is requirement to calculate check W&B before each and every flight, I am sure we would all catch that loading condition, right? :wink: