Nice Jack Design (split from brake retainer thread)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wabuchanan

Nice Jack Design (split from brake retainer thread)

Post by wabuchanan »

ghostflyer wrote:Just a warning , if you fit the rubber fairing on the rear of the landing gear leg , jacking the aircraft with the steel bracket
Will damage the rubber fairing. The rubber fairing does make a great brake line retainer instead of the clips .
The rubber fairing is a great solution. I will be headed down that path soon as well.

Jacking is made much easier if you, or you and a partner, utilize one of these jacks to lift with. It has made life a whole lot easier to perform maintenance on the wheels and tires. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG_2371.jpeg
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: add to subject for searching purposes
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
DaveF

Re: Brake Line Retainer and nice Jack design

Post by DaveF »

Nice jack. I’ve never liked the tapered tray jack fitting because it mashes the leading edge tape on my gear legs.

Does the jack lift the leg only and allow the brake to be removed?
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That is a nice design. I'm going to have to keep it in mind along with a similar jack design I need to build to lift equipment with little to no clearance under them such as a Bridgeport. I think both designs could be combined into one. Now missing is time and when time is available, remembering what it is ai wanted to build. :?
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

wabuchanan wrote:
ghostflyer wrote:Just a warning , if you fit the rubber fairing on the rear of the landing gear leg , jacking the aircraft with the steel bracket
Will damage the rubber fairing. The rubber fairing does make a great brake line retainer instead of the clips .
The rubber fairing is a great solution. I will be headed down that path soon as well.

Jacking is made much easier if you, or you and a partner, utilize one of these jacks to lift with. It has made life a whole lot easier to perform maintenance on the wheels and tires. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.
Where did you get that jack? I want one.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Promo video shows it’s sold through The Landing Gear Works. In the video is John Baldwin’s beautiful ‘48 C-170, N4013V.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
170C

Re: Brake Line Retainer

Post by 170C »

Jack looks awesome as does the $550 price! Bet some of our talented members could duplicate (almost so it isn't a patent infringement) a similar one for a bunch less.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

170C wrote:Jack looks awesome as does the $550 price! Bet some of our talented members could duplicate (almost so it isn't a patent infringement) a similar one for a bunch less.
I think you're on to something. A $25 bottle jack some square tubing and a welder and this thing looks like it would be easy to build.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

My apologies for taking so long to reply!

Yes, Jack is sold through the Landing Gear Works, and it is pricey. I got it for just a little less at a local Aviation symposium when they were introducing it, but I let Jughead and a couple more local 170 owners use it. We barter back and forth.

It does allow brakes to come off and it fits 6" to 26" tires. The rollers allow it to roll in and out when lifting the gear. I felt the price was worth the ease of use. I can pull it out, jack up the gear, have wheel off and on in no time and on the the other side.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That is a slick jack. This like many tools is worth the price when you get the job done quickly, safely and no damage to the airplane.

The '48 looks pretty nice as well though I always think a modern pointy spinner with the early cowl is out of place. Made up for it with the TIC170A sticker on the side though. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com