More Tailwheel Bracket Trouble

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Fearless Tower

More Tailwheel Bracket Trouble

Post by Fearless Tower »

Well, replaced the main tailwheel leafspring last week......only to find that the there is a crack in the bracket! Probably the result fo the leaf spring being overextended/stressed for so long.

I have the later model alligator bracket or one with fingers. The part that is cracked is what is described in the IPC as P/N 510000-31 "Channel - Tailwheel Spring Retainer"

The shop thought that it could be weld repaired.....is that legit, or is it opening up a potential mess of red tape?
Can a replacement channel even be obtained?

Here are a couple of photos:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/ ... 200055.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/ ... 200056.jpg
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
minton

Re: More Tailwheel Bracket Trouble

Post by minton »

NO WELDING!! All parts of the assembly are aluminum. Yes, replacement parts are available. Try Air Repair (L-19), they used to carry reasonably priced parts. I thought that I had the contact info. but no got anymore!

When installing the new parts, reference the parts manual for the correct "U" bolt orientation. Some install "U" side up, which is wrong, "U" down is correct. Incorrect installation causes issues with cracking of the "U" bracket.
Last edited by minton on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Is the broken part aluminum or steel? If it is steel i should think it could be welded. if aluminum, then no.
BL
3958v

Post by 3958v »

That is a common area for breakage. When I removed my spring I found a break almost exactly as you have pictured. I never noticed a problem prior to disassembly so gosh knows how long it was broken. I bought a replacement from a salvage yard. I have also seen them repaired with a patch an rivets but thats probably not going to satisfy the feds. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

IPC Ref Fig 25 item #36 p/n 0510000-31 worth somewhere between 175-250 or possibly cheaper with no paperwork. This part often breaks when tail maintenance has been neglected. Bruce posted some tail pics sometime ago with a few field repairs. I've seen the tail piece missing and it didn't seem to be a big deal as long as the u-bolt and cross channel (item # 9 fig 29) where still able to keep the spring stack together.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

The only other thing to look at is how many springs do you have installed? The reason I ask is that in your pic it looks like there's a very short spring/steel strip that shouldn't be there.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If memory serves, isn't the spring stack five in a C-170 and four in a C-170A and C-170B ?
BL
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

c170b53 wrote:The only other thing to look at is how many springs do you have installed? The reason I ask is that in your pic it looks like there's a very short spring/steel strip that shouldn't be there.
4 springs, which I understand is correct for the alligator bracket.

There isn't actually a short spring there...what I think you are seeing is the area that was covered by the channel bracket/u-bolt and didn't get a fresh coat of paint like the rest of the exposed spring stack when the plane was painted a couple months ago.
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
Fearless Tower

Post by Fearless Tower »

minton wrote:Yes, replacement parts are available. Try Air Repair, they used carry reasonably priced parts. I thought that I had the contact info. but no got anymore!
Is that Air Repair the L-19/Stearman guys? Is the channel bracket the same on the L-19?
Andrew Hochhaus
N3996V - 1948 170
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Oh sorry I stand corrected here, from the pic I thought it did look like another piece of metal that was fairly corroded, but now I see its the top leaf that's been there awhile with some new paint.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Fearless Tower wrote:
minton wrote:Yes, replacement parts are available. Try Air Repair, they used carry reasonably priced parts. I thought that I had the contact info. but no got anymore!
Is that Air Repair the L-19/Stearman guys? Is the channel bracket the same on the L-19?
Yes it is exactly the same other than the part number. I've bought three of them. These are commonly cracked or as yours has done, broken all the way off. Many don't realize it. This cracking may be because many install the clamp/bracket that surrounds this tab and the springs, upside down.

I remember the part being aluminum. If it were steal I would have welded the cracked parts I had. I don't have aluminum welding capability. The problem I see with welding is temperament of the metal and it will probably just crack again and won't take to long to do so. If ever there was a part that one could afford to have crack and completely break off, it is this tab. There doesn't seem to be much difference with or without it as is evidenced by the number I've seen with it missing.

Of course my comments on welding repair in the last paragraph throw legality to the wind. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

When I rebuilt my tailcone assy on my 170A, I used the L-19 setup shown below. The Main bracket is not notched at the aft end, and the center channel is longer with no "tab". It also uses a larger O.D. u-bolt with a heavier retainer block on the top. Slightly visible in the 2nd photo. I hope to avoid any cracking. Inside the aft tailcone was added the ati-shear bracket as well, riveted to the upper angles.I got all the parts from Air repair. If you plan to buck some -6 solid AD rivets, tungsten bars are helpful in the close quarters.

Rick

Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Huh. Rick that is very interesting how your part doesn't have that cutout nor does the top piece have the tab. Wonder what parts you got? Here is the L-19 parts I got which are exactly like the 170 parts.
Photo on 2012-01-01 at 21.06.jpg
I wouldn't worry Rick to be honest. Your parts are probably better off not having the tab that cracks and breaks off.

mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Bruce,
Interesting indeed. If you look at Air Repair's site, in their on-line IPC, Fig. 54, 2-166, I believe the part number for Item 35 is
0642151-10, which seems to superseed 0642151. Looks like the -10 did away with the "notch" and "tab".

Rick Champagne
C-170A N5475C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Very interesting Rick. My bracket was bought as an assembly part number 06421403. The assembly includes all the parts pictured below from the IPC figure.
2-141.jpg
2-141.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 25296 times
Like I said, I think you got the better bracket.