Thrust Line.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Runk170

Thrust Line.

Post by Runk170 »

I own a 53 Cessne 170B that was Modified to a "171" back in the mid 50's. Those not fimillar, this was the nose gear mod. In the 80's, it was returned to its former glory as a tail dragger,(convential gear). As part of the orignal mod, the engine mount was changed because of nose gear mounting structure. When my Bird was restored, the engine mount was modified to eliminate the mounting structure of the nose gear and left in place. My question is this. Was the Thrust Line of the atrcraft changed buy tilting the engine slighty down to accomidate the drag induced buy the nose gear? My bird is rigged netural and faired. I spin a 7655 on the end of an O300C. Cruse airspeed is 117mph/100kts. Engine and prop spinner do not align with the cowl. Engine mounts are in good shape and do not seem to have settled. This is a real head scratcher!
canav8

Re: Thrust Line.

Post by canav8 »

Runk170 wrote:I own a 53 Cessne 170B that was Modified to a "171" back in the mid 50's. Those not fimillar, this was the nose gear mod. In the 80's, it was returned to its former glory as a tail dragger,(convential gear). As part of the orignal mod, the engine mount was changed because of nose gear mounting structure. When my Bird was restored, the engine mount was modified to eliminate the mounting structure of the nose gear and left in place. My question is this. Was the Thrust Line of the atrcraft changed buy tilting the engine slighty down to accomidate the drag induced buy the nose gear? My bird is rigged netural and faired. I spin a 7655 on the end of an O300C. Cruse airspeed is 117mph/100kts. Engine and prop spinner do not align with the cowl. Engine mounts are in good shape and do not seem to have settled. This is a real head scratcher!
So if I read your post correctly, why would you want the thrustline pointing down to accomodate the nose gear? I would check your firewall attach points. look closely inside where the longerons meet the firewall for cracks if the mounts are in good shape as you so state. I would also check to see if you have the correct bushings at the firewall. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Runk170

Post by Runk170 »

Doug, thanks for your quick reply. I have inspected everything you could imagine. Mounting structure is good at the fire wall, bushings look to be correct and in good shape, proper bolts and washers,the cradle bushings are good as well with no signs of deterioration or off center. Thats why I asked the question to begin with. These would be design speck's set up by Cessna as they were the ones that supplied the orignal kits for the mod back in the day. By the way I'm a retired A+P/IA so I know what I'm looking at as opposed to a pilot messing around where he shouldn't.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Hi Runk,I reread your post. I do not believe that the thrustline was changed. Your speeds are comparable with mine. Can you provide a picture of the problem? Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Runk,
If you'd like I could take some measurements of my engine mount so that you could compare these measurements to your engine mount. I would think measuring from the lower firewall mount to some point on the forward end of the mount might answer your question.
Gary
Runk170

Post by Runk170 »

Hey Doug, I don't have a pic at this time but will be going out to my Hgr tomorrow. I'll take some pics then. It's a great Bird and flys straight as an arrow. This bird was in a heavy wind srorm about 10 years ago. The previous owner (also an A+P /IA) put it back together. this turned into a 2 year restoration project only to find out just before "First Flight" He was terminal with the big C. at 43 no less. When I got the bird from him it had a total of about 35 hours sense restoration. But the bird was never flown out and rigged. I spent the first yeat of ownership making it "Just Right". But as I said this miss match drives me nuts. Also its the first thing folks see when they look it over. You'll see what I'm talking about when you see it. I don't think this is a flight issue. Could have had an impact if the Thrust Line was changed. As you, I thought that was pretty remote. Later, got to go now..

Runk
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

So this mount has been modified twice? How original is the cowling?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Hey Runk170,
I have a good C-170 engine mount I'll sell you for three grand. It has an engine and all the accessories and baffling attached.
You can pull the mount and sell the rest!

PM me.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Runk, While I have no hard-data on this, I think you will find there is a 2-degree "down" thrustline on all the 100 series Cessnas. Having the thrustline slightly down provides stability to flight characteristics. This can actually be visible with the cowling removed. It is not necessary to level the airplane to determine. Place a protractor/level on the firewall (or the upper doorsill) and take a reading...then compare that to the "spine" of the crankcase, or the face of the flange or prop. The "flat" forward of the starter mount on pull-starters is also a likely place.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

gahorn wrote:Runk, While I have no hard-data on this, I think you will find there is a 2-degree "down" thrustline on all the 100 series Cessnas.
I compared the angle of the spine on my engine to the firewall face and found it to be 88 degrees which confirms your 2 degree down thrust line.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

For unknown reasons (old age?) I've forgotten the aerodynamics of this matter taught during my short career as a production test pilot, but a downward thrustline improves longitudinal stability, while a neutral or up thrustline destabilises it (but provides some aircraft with greater manueverability. Many aerobatic aircraft have neutral thrustline.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I'll try to use my aerospace engineering degree and explain the aerodynamics and help George refresh his memory a bit.

Easiest way to explain it is to picture the plane from the side, at the wing draw a big arrow UP and at the tail draw a smaller arrow DOWN, now at the engine draw another smaller arrow DOWN. The downward thrust helps the stability in much the same way the tail counteracts the major lift component of the wings. With a neutral thrust line the tail has do to all the work which, like George says makes it more neutral stability.

George, did that help? :wink:
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jud, if George needs pictures just make sure they are simple and the lines are far a part. Helps me stay in the lines when I color them in. :lol:

Seriously, that was a masterfully simple explanation that covered the subject in one paragraph. (You will now have to post several blank posts to take up the allotted space.)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

rupertjl-
Is that a reason canard airplanes like the Longeze are more efficient, they don't have that built-in extra load (lift-induced drag) for the wing to overcome? Do all the arrows point up? Just wondering.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Richard,

Man you guys are making me dig out the textbooks, but without going into it too far, yes, both those arrows point up and that does make the design more efficient from an aerodynamic standpoint. When looking at stability though it's more the about c.g and center of lift and making the moments sum to zero in level flight. In a Long-Ez design the cg is obviously between the front canard and the main wing. The main wing produces more lift than the canard but is closer to the cg than the lift being produced by the canard. The canard usually has a higher wing loading than the main wing and will stall before the main wing reaches its critical AOA, resulting in a pitchdown moment, allowing the canard to start "flying" again and lends the design to being a stable platform.

A digram of a seesaw is also a good way to explain it as well. The fat guy only 2 feet from the fulcrum is balanced by the tiny guy 10 feet away from the fulcrum.
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366