'98C Gets a New Interior

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: '98C Gets a New Interior

Post by cessna170bdriver »

In between bouts of working on the windshield we got a bit more paint removal done on the interior and its many parts. Of course I had some EXCELLENT help!
Karen Helping.JPG
While we've pretty much settled on interior materials and colors, I'm still thinking about doing some kind of unique yet attractive piecing and stitching for it. I took a photo of the door and have been playing with it in Paint (a poor-man's PhotoShop that comes in the Accessories folder on all Windows computers). It was a bit tedious to get a blank area cleaned out of the photo, but then it's fairly straight forward to play with ideas. I'm sure PhotoShop would be even easier, as Bruce has shown us. :wink:
Original Photo
Original Photo
Right Door Panel no slant wide ivory 2-stripe JPEG.JPG
Right Door Panel 15-degree slant wide ivory 2-stripe JPEG.JPG
Right Door Panel Blank 45-deg one stripe JPEG.JPG
The brown we've chosen is darker and more neutral than what shows here, but I'm really just looking at patterns. I'm also thinking about incorporating the Cessna 170 logo, and/or the stylized bird from the original pait scheme into the stitching. 8)
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Miles

I like the bottom one, not as busy....can you make the lines go the other way?
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
170C

Post by 170C »

I agree that the wider stitching looks better (to me) and slanting it the opposite way would look good too, but either would be nice. Have you given any thought to adding arm rests? I added them to Ole Pokey way back in the 90's and wouldn't want to be without them. They sure help on those long (and short) trips. Mine may have come from and automobile. An FBO had them in a box of things I bought from him and I painted them myself (the first time) and had the upholstry guy cover them in the same material as the door panels. It was easy to rivet in some aluminum supports in each door to anchor the rests. If you should decide to install them I suggest deciding exactly where you wish them to be for your comfort and most likely you will want the forward end to be a bit higher than the rear as opposed to having them level with the window openings. Putting a bit of angle on them makes them even more comfortable. Of course if you are wanting to stay orginal or sort of orginal they wouldn't work.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Automotive Arm Rests!!! Sounds like bootleg job to me.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I mfr'd armrests for my Aeronca by taking flat sheet metal 8 inches long and, using a brake, bending it into an
Isosceles triangle (end view) and covering it with 1/4" foam and the same fabric as the sidewalls. Really made
the cabin more comfortable. It can be attached by pop rivets or screws.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

W.J.Langholz wrote:Miles

I like the bottom one, not as busy....can you make the lines go the other way?
Right Door Panel Blank 45-deg-reversed one stripe JPEG.jpg
How 'bout these?
Right Door Panel no slant wide ivory 2-stripe bird logo JPEG.jpg
Right Door Panel no slant wide ivory 2-stripe 170 block JPEG.jpg
Miles

— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

170C wrote:...Have you given any thought to adding arm rests? ...
I did think about armrests, but I'm trying to avoid the "while-I'm-at-its", and will put that off for a future project, if ever. And actually, I'm fairly comfortable with my forearms on my thighs and fingertips on the bottom corners of the yoke. :wink:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

BL is BACK. Yahooo.

Miles I would stick to the vertical stitching. Slanted either way reminds me of something you might find in a Mooney or a dreaded plastic airplane today.

I'd also opt out of the giant 170. I kind of like the bird logo with just the small 170 but I'd probably opt for just the bird and make it large enough that you might not recognize it as the bird but rather a design element.
Right Door Panel no slant wide ivory 2-stripe bird logo JPEG copy.jpg
Right Door Panel no slan.jpg
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
170C wrote:...Have you given any thought to adding arm rests? ...
I did think about armrests, but I'm trying to avoid the "while-I'm-at-its", and will put that off for a future project, if ever. And actually, I'm fairly comfortable with my forearms on my thighs and fingertips on the bottom corners of the yoke. :wink:
Ol'Gar feels similarly. He's also comfortable with his knuckles draggin' the ground. :lol:

On a more serious vein... have you considered what Cessna originally did for accents? and have you thought about horizontal pleats? I think that may make the aircraft appear more roomy for some reason.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

gahorn wrote: and have you thought about horizontal pleats? I think that may make the aircraft appear more roomy for some reason.
I think any woman would agree with you on the horizontal pleats (or stripes) having a more "roomy" appearance :lol:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:... have you considered what Cessna originally did for accents?...
Point me toward some photos or drawings and I'll take a look, although I'm looking for "original" in the sense of somewhat unique or creative. (I know, I know, not something you'd expect out of me... :wink: )
gahorn wrote:...have you thought about horizontal pleats? I think that may make the aircraft appear more roomy for some reason. ...
Right Door Panel 90 deg  wide ivory 1-stripe large bird JPEG.JPG
Not bad...
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Suggestion: Make the lower pleat wider (get rid of that last 1" seam down there)...and of vinyl or leather (same color as upper) ...for scuff protection from shoes.
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:Suggestion: Make the lower pleat wider (get rid of that last 1" seam down there)...and of vinyl or leather (same color as upper) ...for scuff protection from shoes.
Or just make it carpet like this one. (Hmmm... back to the vertical pleats :?)
1952 3-color 20100830.jpg
Miles

— Thomas Browne