Battery Power Receptacle

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Re: Battery Power Receptacle

Post by hilltop170 »

Hey George-
Save one of those receptacles for me. I'll pick it up.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
170C

Post by 170C »

George, if that bracket is what I would need to mount the battery receptacle on my firewall, put my name on one---assuming you don't have them all committed to others already. I haven't yet ck'd with Lucky @ DAS to see what they get for the receptacle or a possible plug, but eventually I will do so. If the bracket is what I need, and you have them already promised to others, that is OK too.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Thanks George, just sent you a payment on paypal, you made it very easy, Thanks again,

Tim Grandy
db99577

Post by db99577 »

I discovered my receptacle is a three pin type. Works well charging the battery, but I’m looking into the DaveF’s connections diagram and some side effects.
Dwayne
bpaige

Post by bpaige »

gahorn wrote:I acquired some years ago and still have a few. The pic is of one of them.. made entirely of welded stainless. $22 plus shipping (Priority mail is $5.95.) You can buy one using PayPal to make payment to my email address:

gahorn146ys (at) hotmail (dot) com

Be certain to mention which address to send it to in your payment comments.
If you still have one of these brackets I'd like to purchase one. Thanks...bpaige
jimnaphas

Post by jimnaphas »

I would like to put an external power receptacle in my 170A. I can get the receptacle from Aircraft Spruce. Does anyone know where I can get the bracket for putting it on the firewall? Is there a kit available? What do I need to get FAA approval? Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Jim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Hi Jim,
The receptacle is already approved for the Cessna 170 as it was an optional item.
The bracket can be made out of a piece of decent stainless and a press brake.
The original plug was connected directly to the battery side of the master solenoid. Later 172's had them in line with another solenoid.
I think both would be a log book entry as they are both based on approved data.

-David
170C

Post by 170C »

Probably not approved, but a power recepticle from your local auto parts store will work just fine. I know of one that's been in a plane for 15 yrs and hasn't given any trouble nor has any IA questioned it.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

This is probably a stupid question but, is there a problem with batteries lately? I am just asking because I cannot remember the last time I had to hand prop because of a low battery. I do fly in the cold and the battery I have is the Odyssey and the Burls firewall mount. It is sealed so no mess or venting required. It cranks like crazy. I think most batteries are on the firewall but some are relocated to the baggage and that is a long run.

I do trickle charge mine if it sits longer than a month but other than that I have zero problems ...so far with batteries and needing to hand prop.
It's not done till it's overdone
170C

Post by 170C »

I see now that I had a different recepticle in mind :oops: The discussion is obviously regarding the battery set up for boosting ones plane when the aircraft battery fails to preform. Well I have one of the units George mentions in an early post. I just haven't gotten around to installing it and purchasing the plug to carry along in the plane. So many things to do, so little time 8O I'll try to be more diligent in the future by rereading the post more carefully before making a comment. :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018