Exhaust style

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MeeksDigital

Exhaust style

Post by MeeksDigital »

My 170A (O-300A) currently has the 'stock' exhaust system, where the stacks come through holes in the cowling. I'd love to look into the type of exhaust system pictured below, and I'm wondering how many of you have it, how it's put together (what kind of bracing is needed, where you got/how you made the system etc.)

Also, any input on the benefits/drawbacks of each system would be very helpful!

-Trevor Meeks

Filmmaker http://www.meeksdigitalstudios.com
Photographer http://www.meeksdigital.com

1950 Cessna 170A N5LP, Horton STOL, 180 Gear
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Exhaust style

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Trevor,

That is either the Benham or Bartone system. They are two slightly different systems that accomplish the same thing. Most people don't know the difference in the two systems but there is and only Behnam or Bartone could probably tell you what it is. In addition to that is seems most of the installed systems regardless of who's it is seem to have some customization done by the installer.

John D. Benham is one of the two founders of the TIC170A. He sells the parts and STC he owns for his system as far as I know. Pat Bartone another member of the TIC170A sells parts for his system but will not sell his STC as of a few years ago. Both gentleman can be reached through their contact info in the membership directory.

There are many people who have these systems. In fact depending on the convention attended there may have been more of these systems than stock represented. Mile Bowen is one of the last I know who installed this system so maybe he'll chime in.

As for benefits some say you will get speed increase but that is questionable. Others say the system is quitter than stock in the cockpit but who knows. Others site the ease that the cowl can be removed and reinstalled with the systems. One thing for sure you won't get exhaust stains on your cowl anymore. Instead they will be on the belly. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Those look like the Bartone pipes (due to the downward turn at their lower ends). The Benham pipes are straight all the way to the lower ends. Also, the original Benham pipes are suspended from the engine mount, while the Bartones are suspended from the firewall via hangers. (Both STC's are commonly violated in that regard, however.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Trevor,

What my Bartone exhaust extensions look like :D
Cessna 170 Exhaust System 003.jpg
Cessna 170 Exhaust System 002.jpg
I purchased the exhaust extensions in 2003 and they were installed via 337 Field Approval. Pat does not sell or furnish a STC with purchase of the exhaust extensions. Pat did furnish, as I recall, several different illustrations on how to attach the pipes. The one I used appears to be what others are also using. Todate they are working great with no problems.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Here are some pictures of my Benham exhaust inistall on my 1955 B-model. (per the STC). I actually like the look of the Bartone pipes better but they required field approval, whereas the Behnam's have an STC. I took the path of least resistance.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N9149A wrote:As for benefits some say you will get speed increase but that is questionable. Others say the system is quitter than stock in the cockpit but who knows. Others site the ease that the cowl can be removed and reinstalled with the systems. One thing for sure you won't get exhaust stains on your cowl anymore. Instead they will be on the belly. :)
I saw no speed increase. With "down and welded" landing gear, wing struts, and a stock engine, I don't think there's a lot that can be practically done to make a 170 significantly faster. I can't really say the cockpit is any quieter, but at idle the it has a "bigger", throatier (but not louder) sound than with stock pipes. In cruise I can't tell a whole lot of difference.

I did it mainly for (1)the look, (2)to keep the exhaust stains off the cowl, and (3)to make the lower cowling easier to remove/install, in that order.

(1)As far as improving the look, that is a subjective thing, and you have to make up your own mind. I personally think not having the pipes through cowl is an improvement.

(2)These pipes obviously enable keeping the cowl cleaner, and DO NOT add stains to the belly.

(3)As far as making removal/installation of the lower cowl easier, it is definitely easier to remove... a bit too easy perhaps if working solo, as the old pipes would "hold onto" the cowl even after all the screws were out. Now, after taking out the last screw on either side, I have to make sure the cowl is supported while I walk around to take out the last screw on the other side. Solo installation is somewhat more difficult for the same reason. Having a helper makes it much easier.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
DAIRYdr

Post by DAIRYdr »

[img]
HI DAIRYDR HERE I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO INTALL THE BARTONE SYSTEM ON MY DADS 53 170 B I LOOKED THROUGH THE MEMBER DIRECTORY BUT DID NOT SEE A MEMBER BARTONE ,CAN U HELP ME TO CONTACT MR BARTONE

[/img]
cessna170bdriver wrote:
N9149A wrote:As for benefits some say you will get speed increase but that is questionable. Others say the system is quitter than stock in the cockpit but who knows. Others site the ease that the cowl can be removed and reinstalled with the systems. One thing for sure you won't get exhaust stains on your cowl anymore. Instead they will be on the belly. :)
I saw no speed increase. With "down and welded" landing gear, wing struts, and a stock engine, I don't think there's a lot that can be practically done to make a 170 significantly faster. I can't really say the cockpit is any quieter, but at idle the it has a "bigger", throatier (but not louder) sound than with stock pipes. In cruise I can't tell a whole lot of difference.

I did it mainly for (1)the look, (2)to keep the exhaust stains off the cowl, and (3)to make the lower cowling easier to remove/install, in that order.

(1)As far as improving the look, that is a subjective thing, and you have to make up your own mind. I personally think not having the pipes through cowl is an improvement.

(2)These pipes obviously enable keeping the cowl cleaner, and DO NOT add stains to the belly.

(3)As far as making removal/installation of the lower cowl easier, it is definitely easier to remove... a bit too easy perhaps if working solo, as the old pipes would "hold onto" the cowl even after all the screws were out. Now, after taking out the last screw on either side, I have to make sure the cowl is supported while I walk around to take out the last screw on the other side. Solo installation is somewhat more difficult for the same reason. Having a helper makes it much easier.

Miles
4583C

Post by 4583C »

DAIRYdr wrote:[img]
HI DAIRYDR HERE I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO INTALL THE BARTONE SYSTEM ON MY DADS 53 170 B I LOOKED THROUGH THE MEMBER DIRECTORY BUT DID NOT SEE A MEMBER BARTONE ,CAN U HELP ME TO CONTACT MR BARTONE]
Look in the state of Connecticut. Page 18 (at least the electronic version)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Here are some pictures of the Bartone exhaust.
IMG_8430_2_2_1.JPG
IMG_8429_1_2_1.JPG
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!