Landing gear dimensions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Landing gear dimensions

Post by GAHorn »

Dean, what am I missing? Didn't you confirm to me that you have Cessna 180 gear legs installed? If so, then it WILL DO NO GOOD to compare them to 170 lady legs. You'll have to compare them to a Cessna 180.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

If I rember correctly the 172 with the bolen gear did have the cessna gear parts installed when the legs were changed to 180 gear.
170C

Post by 170C »

Joe Craig---that is a super looking plane. I'd be interested in some other photo's of it both out & inside plus info on your engine, etc. Now if you could send us Texans some of that weather you had when the photo of you plane was taken maybe it would temper our current 102-105 degree days down to something a bit more comfortable & we can send you some of our summer temps to temper your winters :roll:
Since I too have a Bolen STC Conversion, when I am at the hangar Sat I will do some measuring and post the results Sunday or so.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
15A

Post by 15A »

Thanks, Ole Pokey.

You have the same plane! They are a special breed.
The engine is just a high-time O-300A with new ECI cylinders. Old mags, old carb,... runs GREAT :D
Nothing fancy inside. MX300, KT78, Lowrance 2000C. Enough to get me where I want to go.

And as far as this New England weather goes, if you want it, you have to live here!!! :roll:

I'll post some pics later on...
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
170C

Post by 170C »

OK, for those with Bolen conversions here are my numbers for comparison purposes. Mine is a '56 C-172 with a stock C-O300B engine (wished I had that McCauly 2 position prop), factory prop and Aero Classic 600-6 tires. Plane also has the Bush leading edge cuff, stall fences, aileron gap seals & fiberglass wing tips (not the gross ones that hang down 6-8 inches). A little extra weight due to Bartone exhaust pipes and a 60 amp alternator (alternator may not be as heavy as the generator--I don't know.). Measurements taken with full fuel, 3 seats, spare tailwheel tire/tube, 2-3 qts of oil, tie downs, tool bag & vr other stuff that seems to make their way into the pockets and other areas of the baggage area & hat shelf.

Dimension between gear legs (outside to outside) = 84 inches
Height from floor of hangar to belly skin at gear legs = 31 inches
Height from floor to center of axels = 7 inches
Just for kicks I weighed the tail wheel with 3/4 fuel and full fuel + all of the above stuff.
3/4 fuel = 136#
full fuel = 143#
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Showboatsix wrote:As my saga continues, I have called every one I can think of, renewed my CPA dues (they will not talk to you with out it), read all of the posts, so the CPA guys told me to call the old XP-MODS guys, they stated (XP Mods) "yes I know the angles of the bends" but I will not disclose them to you, (business secret) but for a MERE $150.00 EACH, I will check your gear legs and tell you if those bends are correct or incorrect! This does not include magnaflux, die penetrating checks, just the ANGLE checks! Lets see.... $300.00 plus shipping and he will tell me my gear are correct or not correct! You know I was born at night.....BUT not last night!

So it appears I am back where I started, normal or abnormal gear legs, I just don't know?

Wishing I had my nose wheel back again!

Dean
I am wondering what your issue is with the gear. I converted a 1956 C172 to the Bolen gear TW conversion about 20 years ago. I own a 1950 Cessna 170A. My friend owns the 1956 172 TD conversion. Right here in Auburn Washington. The two have absolutely nothing in common and can be compared but can not share parts. Why are you asking questions about the gear dimensions? I might have awnsers for you

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!