Elevator bellcrank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marstall

Elevator bellcrank

Post by marstall »

I have my 1953 170B project fuselage back from a well known shop in Calif. It seems the forward elevator bellcrank may be reversed. In the 170B parts manual figure 67, the bellcrank (0510159) is shown with the "cutaway" forward. Or another way to look at it is the tube from the control tee connects to the bearing of the bellcrank that is above and forward of the pivot bearing. My bellcrank is installed such that the tube attach point is to the rear of the pivot bearing. (Bellcrank rotated 180 degrees about the vertical axis.) In the "100 Series" Service Manual, the drawing of a Cessna 182 shows the bellcrank installed exactly as mine has been installed. There is no specific information in this manual on the 170. Which way is correct? The project already had the bellcrank installed before I took it to Calif. over a year ago but I am unsure which way it was installed or whether it was reversed. Thanks for any help. Steve.
Dennis

Re: Elevator bellcrank

Post by Dennis »

Marstall your suspicions are correct. The rod attach to the fwd bellcrank is fwd and above the pivot. To avoid this dilemma, I have a bluebook to draw pictures with lots of notes to describe what I'm taking apart. I supplement this with digital pictures and sometimes video. Now is a good time to replace the bearings. If you have trouble finding them at less than Cessna prices sound off, the folks here at TIC170A are a great resource. Regards Dennis
marstall

Post by marstall »

Dennis, thanks for the reply. I will turn it around. I did not disassemble the plane ( I bought it as an in-progress project) but I do have photos of the disassembly and they show it the wrong way. Who knows? Thanks again. Steve.
Pwcpilot

Post by Pwcpilot »

Steve, What was the outcome of the elevator bellcrank. I am sure I had it installed correctly. The parts catalog is miss leading, I tripled checked it against other B models and it left in the correct position?

Chris
marstall

Post by marstall »

The elevator bell crank was installed correctly. The drawing in the 170 book is not very detailed and it seemed the bell crank was reversed. But I tried it reversed and no way was it going to work. I put it back as received and after connecting the rear bell crank and adjusting cables, I have the correct travel. Thanks for the comments on this issue.