Annual question - ragwing fuel pump

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tshort

Annual question - ragwing fuel pump

Post by tshort »

There appears to be a leak from the top of the fuel pump.
Is there a gasket set available to replace the gaskets in the fuel pump?

It looks like the pump is part #40585; should I just buy a new one (overhauled?) from Spruce or is it worth the time to disassemble and try and fix the leak?

Thanks
Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
N2520V

Post by N2520V »

I did manage to find an overhaul kit for the fuel pump on my ragwing. PM me if your interested and I'll send along the info.

-Dustin
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I replaced my screen two years ago with the new stainless, the kit comes with the gasket for the screw and for screen. the part number is mentioned in the tcm service bulletin m81-8r1 see here:
http://sandhillaviation.com/fuelpumpo200.pdf

I called AERO in PA and bought the kit, it was pretty reasonable.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
tshort

Post by tshort »

Quality Acft Accessories in Tulsa (1-877-833-6948) has the fuel screen service kit (part # AF6561) for about 70 bucks.

They also have the two gaskets needed for when you open the pump to check the screen at annual per the AD (part 643914 and 643915 at 0.60 and 6$)

Thanks for all the info!

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
aaronhunley

Re: Annual question - ragwing fuel pump

Post by aaronhunley »

My fuel pump is leaking from the gasket where the top half meets the lower half. Does anybody know where to get that gasket or material to make a new one?
1948 170
N3815V
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I have one that was removed from mine about 25 years ago. If you need it.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Aaron,
I don't have any experience with the '48 C-170 or its fuel pump. But looking at the TCM M81-8R1 Service Bulletin it appears the gasket you are looking for is p/n 643915 as sold here. Am I correct?
p/n 643915
p/n 643915
Gary
N175BA

Post by N175BA »

Hey guys,

I know this is an older thread and I have not yet done my introduction to this board (will do that asap). May I ask the same question cause we do have the same issue with the leaking pump of the 48 rag wing. The gasket between the two halves is worn out and leaking. I've ordered a screen kit but unfortunately the one gasket I need is not included (the large one with screw holes in it. Any idea or source out there? Best regards and happy Easter from Germany, EDFG

Toby
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I believe that is not just a gasket, it is the pump diaphragm.
Unfortunately, I do not believe that it is available as a separate part for purchase. You may be stuck purchasing a new or overhauled pump (AF40585).
The only good news is that Tempest does supply new and overhauled pumps, as Continental does not seem to support them any longer.
Ragwing S/N 18073
N175BA

Post by N175BA »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the information. I've done a little research and I believe you're right. It's not a simple gasket but the diaphragm.
I'm wondering why this part shouldn't be offered separately.
There are overhauled pumps out there for sale and they do need gaskets, screens and also diaphragms to overhaul.

I try to find out more... let you know.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As I recall there are not that many models of AC mechanical pumps. The vast majority where used on cars. They all probably have a lot in common including gaskets. The largest market for this stuff is the antique car market. There was at one time a company/person supplying the car market and I also believe he had parts for the AC pump used on the Continental. Like many airplane parts of the time, this is the direction I'd be looking for parts.

Google search "ac fuel pump rebuild kit" and you will get a listing of about 6 who sell AC pump rebuild kits. The key is will any work on the AC pump the 170 needs?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com