Rosen Sun Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Rosen Sun Visors

Post by n2582d »

I bought some sun visors from what I thought was a C-170B. Here is a picture of the attach fitting on this visor.
C-170B Visor Attach Fitting
C-170B Visor Attach Fitting
It fits onto the leading edge of the spar carry through on my '52 C-170B . There are two 10-32 nutplates attached on each side of the carry through as pictured here:
Sun Visor Attach Point
Sun Visor Attach Point
Now what is interesting is that the sun visor in the IPC for the C-170A and the C-170B appears to be different. In the IPC it is attached with one nutplate on the bottom of the spar carry though. The holes for this nutplate are present on the left and right side of my carry though but there are no nutplates installed. (See picture above.)
C-170B Sun Visor.jpg
C-170B Sun Visor.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 16784 times
C-170B Sun Visor Nutplate.jpg
C-170B Sun Visor Nutplate.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 16784 times
Now in looking at the Rosen sun visor installation instructions it appears that my plane's carry through spar and the visors that I bought are both from a C-172.
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
907Pilot

Post by 907Pilot »

I have that exact piece that you have in picture 1, and that is where I get lost. That piece is on the side of my airplane where you would in a car call your "a" pillar. It is on the piece that has the airvents coming through it. Even if I had regular visors, I can't see that making sense.

That being said, I got the Rosen's that do not have an articulating arm. I think they would work on your plane, but I can't see them working on mine without drilling. I am going to ask Floats Alaska to do it when they do my oil change this week. If they can't, its looking up the contacts above.

Which ones did you get?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gary,

I had the same visor and visor attachment hardware that you show in picture one in my first 170. Of course we have no idea where they came from, they could have been from an early 172. As I recall mine were attached to the bottom of the spar with one screw through the center. I never wanted to question why the holes used for it were there but noted it seemed that there were only "stock" holes for a sun visor on one side.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

907Pilot wrote:I have that exact piece that you have in picture 1, and that is where I get lost. That piece is on the side of my airplane where you would in a car call your "a" pillar. It is on the piece that has the airvents coming through it. Even if I had regular visors, I can't see that making sense.

That being said, I got the Rosen's that do not have an articulating arm. I think they would work on your plane, but I can't see them working on mine without drilling. I am going to ask Floats Alaska to do it when they do my oil change this week. If they can't, its looking up the contacts above.

Which ones did you get?
I have not yet bought Rosen sun visors; they are a ways down on the wish list. It appears to me that you have RCS-300-1 visors. If you're lucky you may have the two nutplates in the front of the spar like mine. If so then just install them according to Rosen's instructions on page 2. But more likely these holes in the front of the spar are absent on you plane. In that case your mechanic needs to follow the directions on page 3 of the Rosen link I posted above. If at all possible I would use the existing nutplate for one of the attach points. Use an awl to locate it through your headliner. If there is no nutplate there on the bottom (missing as in my picture above) use the blank hole if possible for one of the rivnut holes. The diameter for the hole to install the rivnuts provided by Rosen is .221". This is for an 8-32 screw. If you have the nutplate as shown in the IPC it is for a 10-32 screw. If it is not possible to pick up that existing nutplate hole or use that existing nutplate (in Rosen's instructions it looks like the rivnut is offset from the center of the bottom of the spar) make sure your mechanic doesn't drill a hole in close proximity to that existing hole. I would be concerned about that in a critical structural member such as this spar. Here are some dimensions if they can be of any help. Measure twice--drill once.
Sun Visor Attach.JPG
Last edited by n2582d on Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Gary,

I had the same visor and visor attachment hardware that you show in picture one in my first 170. Of course we have no idea where they came from, they could have been from an early 172. As I recall mine were attached to the bottom of the spar with one screw through the center. I never wanted to question why the holes used for it were there but noted it seemed that there were only "stock" holes for a sun visor on one side.
Bruce,
In looking at the IPC picture which I posted above it looks like Cessna did away with the bottom steel attach fitting and slotted screw. It appears they just used the brass portion to attach the visor with a AN3-5A bolt to the bottom of the spar.
Gary
170C

Post by 170C »

If I remember :roll: my factory visors in my '56 172 were attached to the leading edge of the spar. No attachment on the bottom of the spar. That is where I attached my Rosen visors ' brackets. Originally I did not purchase the articulating version, but a couple of years ago I purchased the articulating items as it adds to the usefullness quite a bit. The original sun visors could be pulled down from the middle to help with low sun, but the non-articulating Rosen's could not. With that articulating feature you can really get good movement of the visors.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I very much appreciate the thorough discussion about ROSEN'S VISORS.

Purchased two years ago and will install in next 6 weeks

In 1972 my airplane SN 26433 was tied down next to a 170 at WEISS airport St Louis. I was a newbie and he was one of the pioneering members of the Cessna 170 Association.

He was exceptionally kind to me when he explained that it was not a good idea to accessorize my 170 with WESTERN AUTO parts.

GREEN PLASTIC sun visors 2.00 -

It's been a long time and those visors just disappeared about 10 years ago.

John Collins is no longer with us and I miss him. I would tell him, John, I'm going with the ROSENS !
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

John hears you, no doubt, and is smiling. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

n2582d wrote:In looking at the IPC picture which I posted above it looks like Cessna did away with the bottom steel attach fitting and slotted screw. It appears they just used the brass portion to attach the visor with a AN3-5A bolt to the bottom of the spar.
Here to further confuse how the original sun visors were mounted is a picture from the '53 Owners Manual and a couple of clips from a 1952 Service News Letter. The illustration seems to show that the visor is mounted on the front face of the forward spar carry through. I'm guessing that this illustration was inadvertently rotated 90 degrees as every other illustration or picture seems to indicate that the visor was attached to the bottom of the spar carry through. Still makes me wonder why my plane has nutplates on the forward vertical face but none on the bottom of the spar carry through.
Sun Visors - '53 Owners Manual Picture
Sun Visors - '53 Owners Manual Picture
Illustration from '52 Service News Letter
Illustration from '52 Service News Letter
Script from '52 Service News Letter
Script from '52 Service News Letter
Gary
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Gary, mine has the set up shown just above with the AN bolt and large washer. It is attached to the bottom of the carry through.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Dooley

Post by Dooley »

You do have to mount them contrary to the instructions. Like everyone says if you mount them per instructions they will be unnaturally close to your face. I talked to the people at Rosen about this and they said "well no one has ever complained". While I was waiting for a call back from some engineer to tell me to do it per instructions, I did it my way and they are great.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

OMG! What about the "basis of" you know what? That spar carry through is a structural member.(I think.) That's pretty close to those Pep Boy's vent hoses that I put on the bottom of the goose neck fuel vent and you know how that upsets purists.
Please be advised that this is the sort of stuff that relagates you to the wasteland of the non-conformist when you had hoped to be accepted among those to whom you had looked up to. It's lonely there.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:OMG! What about the "basis of" you know what? That spar carry through is a structural member.(I think.) That's pretty close to those Pep Boy's vent hoses that I put on the bottom of the goose neck fuel vent and you know how that upsets purists.
Please be advised that this is the sort of stuff that relagates you to the wasteland of the non-conformist when you had hoped to be accepted among those to whom you had looked up to. It's lonely there.
:lol: I'm so happy to know that alzheimers isn't mandatory. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(I love you, Dick... and real men can say that.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Dooley wrote:You do have to mount them contrary to the instructions. Like everyone says if you mount them per instructions they will be unnaturally close to your face. I talked to the people at Rosen about this and they said "well no one has ever complained". While I was waiting for a call back from some engineer to tell me to do it per instructions, I did it my way and they are great.
I have the non-articulated model and mounted them backwards from the instructions to get the visor away from my face and was not happy with them like that. It leaves a large gap between the roof and visor that the sun shines thru at certain angles and there is nothing you can do about it. So I reversed them to the specified configuration and am thoroughly pleased with their performance. Being closer to my face makes no difference at all except the sun is shielded all the time.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Yeah, Richard, but how about the "Basis"?
BL