Rosen Sun Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ehrlich

Rosen Sun Visors

Post by Ehrlich »

I own a 1951 Cessna 170A, S/N 20161, N1718D.
I would like to install Rosen Sun Visors. Aircraft Spruce Pilot Shop
has such and for Cessna 170's - 207's (except 177's) there are two different
Visors shown in Fig A and Fig C. Spruce says select Visors shown in Fig A
if t he original Visors look like Fig A (center mount); or select Visors
shown in Fig C if t he original Vosors look like Fig C.
Can you advise which Visors (Fig A or Fig C) I should order and/or how
I can determine which Visors will work in my 170 please. Thanks.
Henry
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

I used the side mount. Worked fine. I have a 49A model.
Last edited by djbaker on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JIM BAKER
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

These are the ones I used in my '56 170B. Bolted right in. Took about 15 minutes to install.

http://www.rosenvisor.com/aviation/deta ... ategory=22
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
Romeo Tango

1948 C170

Post by Romeo Tango »

I have the side-mount Rosen Visors installed and could not be happier. We flew out of the Sierra into a blazing sun on Sunday, and I ran some experiments for filtering glare against the sun reflecting off the SF and Monterey Bays. Stunning how much more you can see. We had one of those 99SM vis days with the sun at a low-oblique angle and it was blinding. With the visor down I could see traffic in the pattern. Don't leave home without it...

I say the only mod I am happier with are shoulder harnesses. The one thing to watch out is not to stratch it with headset. When you have it "back and out" of the way - in turbulence you can tag it with the top of your headsets. If they are metal, then scratches are imminent.

RT
KMac

Post by KMac »

I have them in my 49A model too. They are great. You might have to drill holes to mount them - I don't think most of the A models came with the factory visor mounts that allow you to just bolt them up. :D
Kevin
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

CraigH wrote:These are the ones I used in my '56 170B. Bolted right in. Took about 15 minutes to install.

http://www.rosenvisor.com/aviation/deta ... ategory=22
Those are the ones I got (myself) for Christmas. I haven't put them on yet, but I'm hoping I can just unbolt the stock visors and bolt these in place. They do come with a bag of riv-nuts, but I think that is for models that did not come with sun visors. I also have BAS shoulder harness (seaplane model) and the shoulder straps stow over the tops of the visor when not in use. I'm afraid of scratching the Rosen's so I will just allow the shoulder straps to hang in the back seat area for now when not flying.
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
170C

Rosen Visors

Post by 170C »

I have a set in my '56 172-TD and like them. They just bolted into the rivnuts or whatever that were installed at the factor (50 yrs ago--GEEZ, I don't think Dwayne Wallace & those Cessna factory workers ever expected these things to last this long [George, must be the green & white paint :wink: --right Joe?]). I don't have the articulated Rosen's. Just wondering in day-to-day flying if its worth spending the extra $65.00 or so to convert them. Anyone have that feature?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KMac

Post by KMac »

Ole Pokey,
Mine are the articulating style. I like the ability to move the visor to different angles and areas of the windshield. I don't know if it is worth $65 extra or not, probably depends on how much you use them/need them.
Kevin
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Frank,
IMHO the articulating style is worth the extra few bucks. Nice to be able to position them wherever the offending glare is - even if it's coming through the side window. I've installed Rosen's in 5 different airplanes, but I can't figure out a way to put them in the RV. :wink:
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

KMac wrote:Ole Pokey,
Mine are the articulating style. I like the ability to move the visor to different angles and areas of the windshield. I don't know if it is worth $65 extra or not, probably depends on how much you use them/need them.
Kevin
I'm preparing for an upcoming annual and will order a set. But help me understand where the articulating feature will provide coverage that the solid one won't? I can understand how it would swing to the side window - but since I can't seem to get my 170 to stay inverted for very long I'm not sure that would help much :wink:

Are there places on the front windshield that the articulating really help or where they cover that the regular mounts won't? I'm not able to envision that. (Mabye too many hours of staring at the sun!)
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

If I understand Rosen's instructions, the side mount as shown above is the model for the 170 and they install in the same location as the original visors.

The suggestion I want to make is to turn the mounting bracket around so the horizontal arm the visor itself is mounted on points to the front of the a/c instead of the rear. This puts the visor about 5" more forward and away from your face more. The recommended position puts the visor only a couple of inches from your face.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Richard, I mounted mine as you have described. We leave them in the forward position when not in use. They work like the darkened part of an automobile windshield. They can also be folded back if you like.
JIM BAKER
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

hilltop170 wrote:If I understand Rosen's instructions, the side mount as shown above is the model for the 170 and they install in the same location as the original visors.

The suggestion I want to make is to turn the mounting bracket around so the horizontal arm the visor itself is mounted on points to the front of the a/c instead of the rear. This puts the visor about 5" more forward and away from your face more. The recommended position puts the visor only a couple of inches from your face.
Richard,
I mounted mine as you suggested and I like them not being so close to my face. I did have to spend a few minutes with the bridgeport to remove the angle part of the bracket.

I do not have the articulating feature and there have been times when I wish I had the added flexability.

John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John

I had to look at your picture for a bit to realize the picture is taken looking up from below the front carry through spar with the narrow part of the attaching bracket pointing at the windshield.

One thing that has always concerned me about this install no matter how it is done is putting the mounting holes in the carry through spar. Do you use existing holes or is there some sort of approval to do this?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Jeez! All this over sun shields.

Real pilots just squint!
BL