Window Hinge

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

Window Hinge

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

My window hinges are disintegrating. I thought I saw an article about replacing them, but all I'm finding is stuff about replacing the plexiglass. Has anybody else out there done this, and do you have any suggestions?
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

You can get new ones or replacement parts from Aircraft Spruce. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... wlatch.php
There is a good exploded view of the latch in their paper catalog.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Do a search under "window latch repairs" and you'll find some tips on what members have done.

I did the binder post fix to my pilot side. Will likely need to do the passenger side next year (since all I can do lately is fly on the right side - can't get my wife out of the left seat lately! :evil: )
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe Jr.Cubbuilder is talking about the hinges....not the latches.
The upper hinges are a pain in the B...side. Not much room to work, and will probably require you to remove the door to the workbench and get very handy with self-locking rivets. (Or find a very talented sheet metal person.)
This is not a common (as of yet) repair, but many of the 50-year old airplanes I've looked at are coming up on hinge replacement soon, including my right side. This is another excellent opportunity to take pics, write an article, and send it to headquarters@cessna170.org
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Hinge stock can be cut to size to replace your worn hinges. The window side of the hinge stands up well as the frame is steel, in other words no pulled rivets. The door side may not fair as well if the hinge has been working for sometime. Upon removing the old hinge you may find elongation of the rivet holes. In that case you will have to oversize. That is unless that's already been done and now the holes are holes. Then a nut has to be dropped down through a hole cut in the top of the door.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Sorry Jrcubbuilder. Didn't read your question closely enough. Good luck with the project, and like gahorn says, keep us posted or write an article.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Yeah I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'll see if I can get a picture of them on here to, it's interesting how they are disintegrating and they are going at an ever increasing pace.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It'd be best to take pics/write an article for The 170 News...and you'd also qualify for the prize giveaway...if you can. Lots of members don't get on line and they'd miss your pics otherwise. (Do both.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Prize, What prize?
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

At the B0fD meetings, they draw names of literary contributors out of a hat for prizes. A year's dues or Assn merchandise is awarded to the winners, I got a logbook case a year or two ago.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:At the B0fD meetings, they draw names of literary contributors out of a hat for prizes. A year's dues or Assn merchandise is awarded to the winners, I got a logbook case a year or two ago.

Eric
Hey, Eric! Things are lookin' UP! With the new dues the prizes are finally WORTH SOMETHING! :lol:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

When the door holes are worn out I've been able to, with very careful measuring and fitting, reverse the hinge orientation to drill fresh holes.

I've used soft pop rivets for fitting and then drilled out and used stainless pop rivets for final assembly which can easily be drilled out later. Yeah I know, not approved fasteners. Flame suit on.... :lol:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Brendalam0tt

Re: Window Hinge

Post by Brendalam0tt »

I'm ordering new hinges from univair today for left side. Any updates since this post started in 2005? Hoping there are pics / article somewhere that resulted. If not I'll take a stab at an article. Can't say enough how much I appreciate you guys on the forum!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'm about to replace a cowl door and its hinge. Hinge stock is also available from Spruce https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ohinge.php For the door I'll be using ms20001-3 hinge stock. I've done my window hinges some time ago not sure what stock is required for them, what will you be using?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jim,
Pics and a write-up on cowl door replacement would be great!

Dave