Project help

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jimbors250

Project help

Post by jimbors250 »

Hi we just bought a Cessna 170 and I need to disassemble it to ship it home. I have put the wings back on my 120 before
But I am asking how hard is it to remove the tail for shipping and question no 2 . The paint is bad but no corrosion
Is it possible to not strip the paint back past the primer as I would love to keep the original alludine primer?

Thanks for any help
Jim
GAHorn

Re: Project help

Post by GAHorn »

It is unlikely there is any Alodine treatment with your 170 unless it was specified and/or had the seaplane kit at original mfr. I do not know of a simple way to strip the paint while leaving primer OR alodine conversion intact, but I’ve only stripped two airplanes and I’m never going to do it again unless someone holds a gun on me.

The “tail” can be disassembled by removing the vertical stabilizer, horizontal stabilizer, and rudder/elevators. The flat rate manual suggests 8 man hours is required but that is likely a minimum if you’re doing this for the first time (as it seems to be the case.).
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3958v

Re: Project help

Post by 3958v »

If you are going to take the wings off you will want at least 4 people available one on the strut and one on each end of the wing plus the guy removing hardware. I don't remember the tail being that hard but some really long 1/4"tensions so you don't have to go so far down the fuselage. Also keep an eye out for the shims where the front of the horizontal stabilizer attaches to the bulkhead. if you don't put them back properly you can crack the bulkhead. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug