Engine data plate obliterated

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sreeves

Engine data plate obliterated

Post by sreeves »

Well, here is a good one...I was doing some spark plug maintenance and noticed the data plate on my engine is mostly unreadable. I will attempt to upload a picture. The plate does have the engine serial number stamped onto the plate, but not much else is readable. The serial number stamped on the data plate matches the serial number on my original engine logbook. So where does this leave me and what do I need to do? Tried to upload two photos to this post but it said the file size was too large.
Stephen Reeves
Palm Harbor, Florida
Cessna 170A, N1773D, S/N 20216
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Engine data plate obliterated

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Steve, as far as your data plate, you don't have to do anything. You have a valid data plate and the records to back it.

However should you want to pursue another plate, you have to call Continental and provide your documentation and if they agree, they will issue, (at your expense) a duplicate plate. Be warned, the plate will not be a duplicate of what you had in formate but their current format. Also, the last member who contacted Continental that I know about, was told his data plate did not match what he was saying his engine was. Problem was current Continental employees do not know how to read serial numbers from the 50's. This particular issue was not solved until we had our convention in Alabama with a tour of Continental when, I believe George Horn, got into the issue with the tech people and straightened them out. Will they still remember is the question.

So now you know what to do if you want to.

BTW your data plate condition is not unusual. Don't think you are the only one with a plate in that condition. I'm currently considering purchase of two aircraft with Continental engines and both the plates are bare accept the stamped serial number.

As for picture size, it is an unfortunate circumstance of the camera (phone) technology far out performing our current forum software. The simple fix is to email the pictures to yourself and choose a lower resolution when doing so. Then post those new lower res images. A thread on how to do this and other fixes can be found here: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 12&t=10900
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
sreeves

Post by sreeves »

Thanks Bruce. I just contacted Continental and they sent me the list of requirements to get a new dataplate. It has to go through the FAA with a letter and the old plate has to be sent with the letter of request for a new data plate to Continental. OH, and they charge $300 for the new plate.

Would anybody out there get a new plate?
Stephen Reeves
Palm Harbor, Florida
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

I believe mine is in similar condition. Not considering any updates.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

sreeves wrote:Thanks Bruce. I just contacted Continental and they sent me the list of requirements to get a new dataplate. It has to go through the FAA with a letter and the old plate has to be sent with the letter of request for a new data plate to Continental. OH, and they charge $300 for the new plate.

Would anybody out there get a new plate?
Answer: No!

Some Continental Data Plates are works of “art” with all kinds of official-appearing Continental “logo” and magneto timing-info, and other “data”....NONE OF WHICH the important part...

Many ORIGINAL dataplates are plain stainless or aluminum plates with NO INFO OTHER THAN SERIAL NUMBER. Nothing else. THAT is also an ORIGINAL AND CORRECT dataplate. If yours is one of those... your expenditure of $300 and efforts will only result in removng the originally-issued plate and installing a different one after you’ve submitted your original plate for destruction.

The IMPORTANT part is the serial number. You’ve got that. IMO... spend that $300 on something important like spark-plugs.... or magneto inspections...or etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Couldn't one make their own (owner produced part) with the serial # and whatever else one wanted on the data plate and attach it to the engine?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Blueldr would have given his approval to use this one from Fresno Airparts.
778318F7-A1BF-4AC7-97ED-838AD1F731AF.jpeg
Directions for installing it are found in Continental's Maintenance Manual C-2.6.1 and C-2.1.1.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

So you are going to remove the original and only plate you have to prove the engine is legit. Send it through the mail (UPS or FED Ex). And then trust Continental to make you a new one, not lose yours, and then it sent back to you in the mail. And you are going to pay $300 to nervously wait for all that to happen all the while your engine (and aircraft) can not be flown cause it is not legal without the plate.

If the answer is you are considering this I have a bridge I'd like to sell. Send me a PM for details. :lol:

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I can’t 100% vouch for the originality of mine, but I like it.
E6CCE538-6D39-4D2A-A91A-7435ED7B0D42.jpeg
Warning, thread drift!

From the serial number, is this approximately the 43rd O-300A? ‘98C is the 37th ‘55 model by serial number, and the engine (at least the case halves, crankshaft, and most of the connecting rods) is original to the airframe.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Steve, another issue regarding the Continental instructions is... What does a person do to replace a LOST dataplate? How does Continental propose to replace a dataplate for THAT owner?
One of the most common reasons for dataplate replacement is exactly that issue...one that is lost. The rivets loosen and the plate disappears in-flight. There IS NO plate to “send in”. That is a question I sometimes receive in phone calls and emails. (This question came up not too long ago when a potential new-owner was having an airplane inspected for possible purchase and found there was NO DATA PLATE on that engine.)

The answer is that the engine Serial must be confirmed with supporting data and then a replacement can be issued. That process involves researching the logs and, for example, finding serial numbers and service-information of accessories and other identifying features of the engine and confirming the subject engine has those identifiers. Once that is done, application for a replacement dataplate can be processed.
If the engine logs tell a story that the generator was replaced with an alternator (or generator) and the serial number of the existing gen/alt on the engine matches that described in the logbooks... along with the serials on the mags, starter, propeller, replaced-cylinders, or installed equipment is matching STC’d installations described in the Mx records.... then it can be confidently presumed the engine is the one being described and matched to the serial number engine of that logbook.
Logbooks missing..?? Then the records FAA has in OKC might supply the necessary data.

Notice that the dataplate Miles posted just above and the one Gary posted are not identical. Either in color ...Or in data-lines. Soo.... begs the question “Which one is genuinely original?” Or not... (And why were they replaced?)
(And did anyone notice that engine SERIAL number is not actually called-for on either of those plates? Instead, a “spec” number or engine-build designation/specification is labelled. This is likely indicative of a rebuilt, repaired, or remanufactured engine that was “quoted” when the purchase-order was specified.)

As you can see, sometimes a dataplate replacement can be a serious and troublesome, but solvable issue.
However, I would not encourage you to remove an existing dataplate merely for a perceived, cosmetic “improvement”. I would consider that neither an improvement or a desireable one.

Addendum: How many have read or heard that the letter “D” in the serial number of the engine is indicative of a dampered crankshaft? Doubtless Mile’s engine has a dampered crank.... but no “D” in the engine identification number. I love these inconsistencies.... :|
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
sreeves

Post by sreeves »

Thanks guys for all the input. It seems everybody is happy with leaving my current plate on and so am I. So it shall stay right where it is. But it has been a good learning experience for me and I appreciate all the information you guys have collectively provided.

Steve
Stephen Reeves
Palm Harbor, Florida
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:...

Addendum: How many have read or heard that the letter “D” in the serial number of the engine is indicative of a dampered crankshaft? Doubtless Mile’s engine has a dampered crank.... but no “D” in the engine identification number. I love these inconsistencies.... :|
My engine definitely has a dampened crankshaft. I’ve installed the dampers twice myself. The serial number doesn’t have a “D” because it isn’t a C-145, some of which had dampened crankshafts, and some didn’t. ALL O-300s have dampened crankshafts, thus no need to designate it in the serial number. No inconsistency there. The data plate on my engine is the one that was on it when I bought the airplane, but I can’t say it’s the one it came from the factory with, because I hadn’t even been conceived at the time. :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:...

My engine definitely has a dampened crankshaft. I’ve installed the dampers twice myself. The serial number doesn’t have a “D” because it isn’t a C-145, some of which had dampened crankshafts, and some didn’t. ALL O-300s have dampened crankshafts, thus no need to designate it in the serial number. No inconsistency there. The data plate on my engine is the one that was on it when I bought the airplane, but I can’t say it’s the one it came from the factory with, because I hadn’t even been conceived at the time. :lol:
My O-300-C has a “D” in the serial, so I’m not sure that designation is only applicable to C-145s.
barrymaas

Post by barrymaas »

FWIW, I sent my c-145 case off for overhaul and it was rejected. I bought a ‘new’ case, which arrived with no data plate. A few days later the data plate from my rejected case arrived in a small envelope usps. Not knowing what to do, I called the overhaul company, who told me the case is just a part. Put the data plate they sent me on the new case and voila, all is good.

Except the data plate was completely worn out and the holes ripped when they removed it. So, a call to the local fsdo, a short chat with the inspector, an email stating the reason for my requesting a new data plate and bam. I had a letter from the faa approving the request. $300 to continental and about 3 week later I have a brand new data plate. It was an easy, it expensive, process.

Side note: the inspector said the overhaul shop could have and should have just stamped a new data plate for me. He was kinda pissed they didn’t,

Btw, I have an o-300a case and data plate if anyone is interested. Long story on why I have it, but I do and I don’t need it.
Bruce Fenstermacher

barrymaas wrote:Side note: the inspector said the overhaul shop could have and should have just stamped a new data plate for me. He was kinda pissed they didn’t,
The overhaul shop didn't stamp a new one because they legally could not. Something the inspector should know. Wonder what else he doesn't know. :(