Pull Starter Replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

melcessna

Pull Starter Replacement

Post by melcessna »

Will soon begin the engine overhaul. I like the nostalgia of the pull starter. The present starter has 1727 hours on it, but I've only flown it about 100 hours. All trouble free. What is the general thought regarding replacement with the current non-pull lightweight starter conversions on the market. I can put a dummy pull in the panel, but like I said, I am partial to the original. Thoughts are appreciated.
Michael E. Lewis
Ryan Smith

Re: Pull Starter Replacement

Post by Ryan Smith »

Michael,

Cole Hersee makes a momentary contact pull switch that would function similarly to the original pull starter that may be of interest to you. M486 is the part number. It has a silver knob that supposedly can be unscrewed, so an original knob could be installed. I am considering that route when my starter goes out.
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

Thanks Ryan. Shame about 4567C. Really glad no one was hurt. Hope to meet you someday. Take care.
Michael E. Lewis
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have the original pull-starter (Delco-REmy) and it is reliable, inexpensive to rebuild/replace, plentiful, reliable, and original. If it ain’t broke don’t change it. If it is broke, fix it cheap and go fly. IMO

The NIagara 5-roller replacement clutch is the one to buy if your clutch is slipping. Easy, affordable, durable and one of our supporters.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)