Wish I woulda ...

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gobrien

Wish I woulda ...

Post by gobrien »

Hi all,

I have my 48 ragwing opened up, wings off, interior out, engine off, panel coming out.

Looking back on the upgrades, mods and changes you made or wish you had, I would love to hear suggestions for what I should do while she is in this state.

Note: The aircraft is in Ireland and will be on a Permit to Fly rather than the 170 CofA. This is almost like experimental in the USA but with less latitude. Basically I can do anything for which an STC exists (don't actually have to have the STC) also anything that I can demonstrate has been done on 337s, especially if it's a common mod. I can also use non-certified avionics and of course do the work myself overseen by an inspector from ILAS (http://www.ilas.ie).

Looking forward to learning from your experience ...

Gareth
1948 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN SN:18513 - Dublin, Ireland
https://www.taildragger.eu/
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Wish I woulda ...

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gareth, what is your goal? How will you use the 170?

The early 170s, up to at least '52 did not have good heat. I don't know how cold it gets in Ireland but adding heat ducts similar to the '54 is a good idea unless you live in a hot dessert.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

The '48 fuel lines run down the front door posts rather that the back door post like the A and b model. The fuel lines are also smaller. This all added up to the '48 requiring a fuel pump. Not a big deal if you have one and the associated one way valve. You might consider rerouting larger lines down the rear door post like the later A and B. And if you don't have 4 tanks, now is the time to add that 4th tank if you can find one.

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Swami Bruce sez
Gareth, what is your goal? How will you use the 170?
As usual that’s Gold, take it to the bank.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Gareth,
I think one modification we can all agree on is shoulder harnesses. Does you plane already have them? If not, lots written about installing them here. This is one mod where you don't want to say "wish I woulda" after an accident.
Gary
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

n2582d wrote:Gareth,
I think one modification we can all agree on is shoulder harnesses. Does you plane already have them? If not, lots written about installing them here. This is one mod where you don't want to say "wish I woulda" after an accident.
Hey Gary,

Shoulder harnesses were installed at some stage. However, I have not seen the particular method of anchor point installation described anywhere:
SeatBelt3.jpg
SeatBelt2.jpg
SeatBelt1.jpg
Replacing this is already on the list!

Gareth.
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Gareth, what is your goal? How will you use the 170?

The early 170s, up to at least '52 did not have good heat. I don't know how cold it gets in Ireland but adding heat ducts similar to the '54 is a good idea unless you live in a hot dessert.
Hey Bruce,

Purpose: Pure runabout for me, my brother and brother-in-law ... VFR day (because permit (experimental) aircraft here are restricted), build my hours - just finishing PPL, later teach the kids to fly (10 y/o Girl Pilot in the making is earning her flight hours in the hangar).

I'm looking hard at the heating mod (thank you) ... The 48 parts manual shows 2 setups for heat and this is the earlier one = no heat at all in the back!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Gareth, yes the '48 (and up to '52) had two heat options. Standard was a 2" round duct that enters the cabin above the pilots left foot. Does a great job cooking the pilots left toes and heating the back of the instruments. That's it. An option lessor seen, but I have in my A model, runs the heat up the center console past the flap handle. There are two versions of this. I can say the optional heat is slightly better than the standard in distributing the heat but it does nothing to increase the volume. It is a real pain to install and then in the way if you have to maintain anything in the tunnel.

I would study the '54 system. It starts with a "3 intake and passed over the right muffler and into a valve on the right firewall. There is a plenum on the inside of the fire wall that distributes the heat about the cabin. The "3 intake means more hot air and it is distributed better.

brianm

Post by brianm »

I think most 170s have been upgraded already, but if you don't have them, definitely go with Cleveland wheels and brakes on the mains and the later model tailwheel bracket and Scott 3200 tailwheel. You already mentioned shoulder harnesses, also consider some sort of stop to prevent the seat from sliding back on the rails. Cessna makes an inertia-reel type that is (was?) free, or there are aftermarket options.

My cowl latches were in pretty bad shape so last annual I installed the Dip Davis cowl latch STC. I am extremely satisfied with it. It's inexpensive as far as STCs go, and it sounds like under your regulations you could fabricate it yourself for a few dollars worth of materials.

I have a whole list of stuff that it isn't worth taking the airplane apart for, but that I want to do eventually:
- "One-piece" windscreen and maybe a V brace
- Convert from fuses to circuit breakers
- Late model cabin heat
- Remove hat shelf
- BAS tail pull handle
Brian M
N2669V - '48
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Tail pull handles are a good idea while you have easier access to the inside of the aft fuselage.

Door Stewards are nice, but can easily be installed in a flying airplane.

I personally never had a problem with the mechanical parking brake, but I think the vast majority have been removed from 170s due to possible inadvertent setting in flight. If you ever have to park on an incline and are solo, a parking brake of some kind will come in handy. Both Paul Wood and I had Mountain Airframe install hydraulic parking brakes during airframe rebuilds. Paul Wood or Del Lehmann can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they were installed on a logbook entry as a minor modification. It’s my second favorite upgrade next to the baggage door.

Oh, yeah, you’ll never regret installing a baggage door.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Thanks all ... This is really helpful.

- Cabin Heat - I'm going to fabricate the parts and install this. Anyone got a 337 or STC or even photos of this in a 170 ragwing (or even an A)?
- "One-piece" windscreen - someone did this already, phew!
- and maybe a V brace - The Atlee Dodge stuff specifes 170A and B, 180 etc. Has anyone added this in a ragwing?
- Convert from fuses to circuit breakers - Piano keys and switch assembly fully disassembled, cleaning tomorrow. Redoing the entire wiring harness top to bottom. I'm thinking 100% kilxon indicating breakers. Thoughts?
- Remove hat shelf - hat what? Long gone it seems!
- BAS tail pull handle - Some kind soul did it about 10 years ago! Yippee.
Wheels and brakes are done too.

- Door stewards - yes
- Fuel lines - very likely, doing research and have to onvince my inspector.

Please keep them coming. I had thought about improving the heat but your feedback has convinced me!

G.
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Gareth

Follow up on the Cessna inertia seat stop, it is FREE and could stop you ending up in the back seat during a climb.
Interior insulation and carpet kit seems a good idea in our part of the world. Mine is Selkirk.

Kevin
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Hi Kevin,

Is this thing what you mean? This was installed but NOT attached anywhere which I'm thinking made it marginally less useful!
Seat Secondary Attachment.jpg
The rails were replaced some years ago and look like the C172 ones in the school planes I've been flying.
Pilot Side Seat Rail.jpg
I'm planning to go overboard on the insulation and do the heater upgrade including windscreen defroster. I have taxied out at Weston (EIDW) while struggling to peer through fogged up windows on several occasions. The how to soundproof booklet (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... dproof.pdf) has a lot of interesting info (and should help thermally). Has anyone tried the aluminium foil sandwiched between 2 layers of closed cell foam? We were hoping to resuscitate the existing interior panels (wool covered hardboard) but the stains are just becoming more obvious with cleaning so that may end up replaced.

The problem with having it stripped out is i keep thinking "we might as well do XXX while it's open" and the list is growing!

Gareth.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The doubled layered aluminium coated foam is very good but it comes in different grades. We have that foam in our shop but it also has a layer of heavy material in the core for extra absorption of sound . However when removing the old “wool” insulation use a dust mask and check for corrosion where it has been adhered to the aluminium.
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

ghostflyer wrote:The doubled layered aluminium coated foam is very good but it comes in different grades. We have that foam in our shop but it also has a layer of heavy material in the core for extra absorption of sound . However when removing the old “wool” insulation use a dust mask and check for corrosion where it has been adhered to the aluminium.
That's good to hear. I do like the double layer idea. Fortunately the wool insulation is already gone, there was some of the quilted reflecting stuff you typically see inside someone's windshield on a sunny day! That was only stuck on in a couple of places, mostly just loose behind the panels. I don't think it was doing much.
Loft-Insulation-Wickes-Thermal-Foil-Insulation-Roll-600mm-x-8m~D9049_210022_00.jpg