Engine tachometer and cable questions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kurt Aichele

Engine tachometer and cable questions

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Engine tach became inoperative and I found that the cable was broken about 1 inch from the end that goes into the engine drive. Also found that the cause of the broken cable was that the tach seized up.
1) I would like to order just the flexible cable, if possible. Are these custom made, or are they off-the-shelf parts?
2) The end that inserts into the tach is a square drive, like I am accustomed to seeing on automobiles. But the end that inserts into the engine drive appears to be a pressed on type of fitting with a tang on it. Is this a normal type of tach cable?
3) Any recommendations on where to send the tach for repairs? Right now, it is a toss up between Century Instruments and Aircraft Quality Instruments.
n3833v

Re: Engine tachometer and cable questions

Post by n3833v »

These people do all old and new instrument repairs.
http://www.keystoneinstruments.com/

http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/

Cables I have made at a local automotive speedometer shop.

John Hess
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
mit

Post by mit »

I have used Century Instruments
Tim
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Thachometers are one of the most reasonably priced instruments in the panel. In fact, I’d wager that the cost of a new one isn’t very much more expensive than a repair. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with having one repaired. I bought a new Mitchell in 2006, and it is still rock steady and looks like new. See this thread for details.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You can replace the inner (twisted) drive cable and retain the outer sheath if you so-desire.... but WHY?
It really isn't much trouble at all to replace the complete assembly and you can relax knowing the outer sheath is also new...and less likely to have rough innards that may shorten the life of your inner drive cable.

Pull out the entire cable sheath and all.... measure the length... call Aircraft Spruce (or any other supplier) and get a new assembly virtually overnight and install it. It's the best way to do it, IMO, and avoid the piecemeal installation.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Or, avoid all the potential troubles with the old cable/tach and install an electronic tach that has no firewall penetration, no oil leak potential, and is accurate at all rpm.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I am with you on this one Richard .i fitted a EI electronic tachometer and it’s other bells and whistles makes a good unit. The only sticky point is the resistors that you have to play with due to different mags fitted and the end cap over the old tach drive housing. That was only 15 dollars [end cap ]. Spruce has them. But in the end a great toy to play with. And very accurate . No more oil leaks or noise .
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Share tach experience

Sudden great squawking sound, Hades sound. Glad I was on the ground. Bad tach is disturbing.

Told local FBO to replace with a new unit. He did. Got what I wanted, new tach.

It was totally inaccurate. We tested it . Just not satisfactory. Get that china mfg out of my panel!

I can't get no satisfaction - And I tried -- and I tried .... Cause I tried..
How White my Shirts could be..

Mick, fans are pulling for you Hope the surgery goes well in the AM tomorrow NYC>
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Kurt Aichele

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Shipped tach off to Century Instruments. Awaiting response from them if able to be overhauled or not. Would like to keep this tach, if at all possible. Will be going George's route of pulling entire cable/sheath assembly and replacing with new. Thanks to everyone for their input/suggestions. Will post an update on progress.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I get it that some folks like the "digital" tachometers... but I didn't care for the "dancing" numerals and found them distracting. They may be accurate...but they are TOO accurate (sensitive) in my experience. Flying along in cruise results in dancing numerals … entering/exiting clouds will show a change due to air density..same thing with turbulence.... And selecting a power setting becomes an excersize in fine-tuning the throttle when all I wanted was approx. 1700 in the pattern or 2450 in cruise, etc. 1713 didn't work for me and 2439 ..2430... 2442... 2438.... didn't either. The 60 year old analog works just fine and gets my head back out of the cockpit. (And it's not true that there's no "through the firewall"... there's an electric cable...and an oil leak at the disabled tach drive will be unnoticed in flight...not necessarily a good thing, sort of like the oil pressure copper line. Just my opinion...
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

My EI tachometer has a green outer lights which is a quick reference of engines RPM and if exceeded RPM there is a caution lights and the very bright red lights . Then in the center of the gauge there is the digital readout in 10 rpm increments. When flying I adjust the engine rpm using the green lights and use the digital display for fine tuning . There is a tach timer also showing time of engine run time above 1300rpm. I just love my toys in the cockpit. Due to having different toys [cockpit instruments ] I have decreased my fuel usage and run my engine at peak efficiency and navigation is so much easier
And accurate . . One big issue I have is after take off and leveling off to exit the circuit I am often run into red line on the engine and having the these bright red lights really get my attention
mit

Post by mit »

I fly with a tach checker on the glare shied all the time. Don't look at the mech tach.
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:.... . One big issue I have is after take off and leveling off to exit the circuit I am often run into red line on the engine and having the these bright red lights really get my attention
I admit it. I monitor my old style instruments and don't need red lights to warn me I've exceeded red-line. Hell.... I suspect that either my old O-300 or my old analog tach won't turn that fast within the ordinary operating airspeeds of this airplane. :?

If I had a highly-modified airframe/engine' combination perhaps it might benefit with digital upgrades... but then, I think I'd miss out on the reason I have an old round-tail airplane. :wink:
170C

Post by 170C »

I tired of tach inaccuracies, cable issues, leaking cable gaskets, ruined tachs due to the gasket failure, etc. so upon my IA's suggestion, I purchased a Horizon P-1000 electronic tach in 2008. While pricey ($565) it solved those issues. At first I wasn't too happy with the fluctuations in the engine speed read outs, but after a short time it became a non issue. It also warns of overspeed, as mentioned above and if a mag isn't operating it alerts me. Mine came with a cap for the tach drive and so far hasn't leaked. Wish I could say the same for other areas of leaks on my O-300.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Share my Tach experience cont..

Told FBO - IA AP get that China tach out of panel, keep the money, keep the new tach as a souvenir.

Reinstall my original tach that you removed. He did.

Old tach now worked perfectly.

Difference; he greased the tach cable with VASELINE. It was just dry after 2500 hours.

There was nothing wrong or defective with orig tach.

I got satisfaction.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C