Magneto Simple Inspection

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Magneto Simple Inspection

Post by MoonlightVFR »

No complains, Squawks

Very few hours flown since last year's annual.

Question to the forum. What is the minimal inspection for a mag that seems to be performing properly?

Remove an inspection plate and look for carbon tracking? What about the confessor?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Re: Magneto Simple Inspection

Post by ghostflyer »

On a 100hrly I check the engine timing and take note of how much shift in timing that happens . But on a 500 hrly check of mags the condenser is changed and a new set of points are fitted. The distributor cap and area is examined under a large magnifying glass checking for tracks and cracking. On reassembly the distributor internal timing is set . The cam in the distributor is lubricated with a special grease. The point gap is set also. I always check for SB,s and incorporate them .i always torque the distributor cap bolts[screws] and fit new locking tabs on the cap bolts /screws. During tear down of the distributor everything is cleaned using a electrical cleaner .
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Overhaul the mags every 500 hrs. Check the engine timing and inspect the contact points for condition every annual and 100 hr inspection. That's pretty much it.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

When mags get to 2000 hrs I normally will dump them and buy new . Reason being is the bearings have to be changed ,coils checked and if do not reach their standards and the list goes on [rotor button ,distribution block ] . Labor is a big hit in the pocket also . If the mag is a odd ball not easily procured its overhauled. We keep some of the mags for the experimental people but new is best. Getting parts for Bendix is very hard also.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:.... What about the confessor?
Never Never NEVER confess to anything.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)