No oil temp

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VernH

No oil temp

Post by VernH »

Hello all,
I had 53C out this weekend to try and solve the mystery of no oil temp. This is the second gauge I have replaced. The last one showed nothing and then would suddenly snap to 210-220 degrees. This one just shows nothing. They are the mechanical gauges from Spruce made by Avox. I’m at a loss. You can’t hardly screw up the install on one of these things.
Your thoughts??
Last edited by VernH on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
GAHorn

Re: No oil temp

Post by GAHorn »

I've always used/recommended the Rochester units on Continentals and never had a problem with them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
VernH

Post by VernH »

gahorn wrote:I've always used/recommended the Rochester units on Continentals and never had a problem with them.
Can you think of a reason the AVox gauge wouldn't work? Quality? Probe length?
Fly safe!

Vern
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

VernH wrote:
gahorn wrote:I've always used/recommended the Rochester units on Continentals and never had a problem with them.
Not without close inspection by an instrument shop. Sounds as if there's either a quality-control or installation issue.
Boil some water and place the probe into the boiling water to see if it indicates approx. 210 F is a possible operational check.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
VernH

Post by VernH »

gahorn wrote:
VernH wrote:
Not without close inspection by an instrument shop. Sounds as if there's either a quality-control or installation issue.
Boil some water and place the probe into the boiling water to see if it indicates approx. 210 F is a possible operational check.
I did that before I installed it. Especially after the problem with the last one. It seemed fine. Took forever to show anything on initial start up but it finally did and now, nothing. Ill try a Rochester gauge. Except for the dual scales on the face it will be fine.
Thanks
Fly safe!

Vern
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Be absolutely certain to use the adaptor which comes with the gauge you install. Don't mix them.
VernH

Post by VernH »

gahorn wrote:Be absolutely certain to use the adaptor which comes with the gauge you install. Don't mix them.
I removed the old gauge and replaced it with a Rochester. You could tell the difference in quality immediately. Don't care for the dual scales...yet..but it is working.
On the subject of adapters I know I looked at the adapter, thread, depth etc. but on closer examination I found the ID to be slightly smaller. Apparently, this pinched the probe and didn't let it seat all the way. Lesson learned AND I got to change my oil early!!

Thanks
Fly safe!

Vern