Vertical Airspeed Instrument -Cloudy Face Glass

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Vertical Airspeed Instrument -Cloudy Face Glass

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I have a VSI instrument with a cloudy glass face

Instrument works fine You just cannot see the indication - 75 to 80% White chalky residue inside surface.

Impulse is to have A/P remove glass and clean it. 50.00 labor

Researched this forum and saw G5100 new import for only 159.95

What would you do?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
c170b53

Re: Vertical Airspeed Instrument -Cloudy Face Glass

Post by c170b53 »

Possibly last time you had a pitot static, it probably didn’t work too well ? If it’s played with you’ll need another Pitot static test to be legit especially now that ADSB will be in everyone’s forehead and the costs of the test will be in addition to the labour estimate. It’s probably inaccurate now and you’re probably aware of it, so if it were me I’d have it overhauled on an exchange basis and be done with it or continue with not really needing it’s use.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If it is matched in appearance to the rest of the instruments you might consider sending it in (I like Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita http://flyaqi.com/ ) and having them service it with a request for them NOT to re-finish the face. That way it'll still look the same chronologically. If you DO want it refreshed completely they will that that also.
That glass is hermetically sealed and removing it can also be tricky if it's been there a long time (as it sounds) without it fracturing. It is likely stuck to the seal and prying it out will likely damage it. Even if successful, you will be faced with the problem of re-sealing it ...unless you happen to have that gasket-seal in-hand... which I doubt.... and your A&P is not likely certified to work on instruments so if you're the least bit concerned with legality... unless he's got the instrument certification or CRS (Repair Station), he's not even legal to re-fill the fluid in your compass.* :?

*Not saying that is more complicated these days than it was 30 years ago when everyone just did it and had no heartburn over it, but these days federal inspectors take a dim view of that practice.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Being Boxed and sent to Hai at QAI, Wichita, KS. thank you G.A.H.

Totally Surprised by finding "Clouds in MY VSI" - C170B.

Now I recollected that I rediscovered the the Song "You're so VAIN' by Carly Simon. I enjoy her video youtube

She wrote a line "Clouds in my Coffee" that repeats several times.

But what I liked even more was I discovered a line about AIRPLANES - You're So Vain you flew your Learjet to Nova Scotia JUST to see the Eclipse. That line was new to me although I had listened to the song for years.

I think the song was referenced on this forum by G A H. Thank you again for a second time in this same post.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

MoonlightVFR wrote:...But what I liked even more was I discovered a line about AIRPLANES - You're So Vain you flew your Learjet to Nova Scotia JUST to see the Eclipse. That line was new to me although I had listened to the song for years.

I think the song was referenced on this forum by G A H. Thank you again for a second time in this same post.
I remember the line about flying the jet to Nova Scotia (but then I’m old enough to remember when that was a top 40 song on the radio). At least I took my wife (and her sister) with me when I flew my Cessna 170B to Marion Kentucky to see a total,eclipse of the sun. Disclaimer: I did not take or submit that photo... :wink:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Having flown my Cessna to Guernsey, Wyoming to see a total eclipse of the sun, I no longer think flying your Learjet to Nova Scotia for the same reason is extravagant or self-indulgent. Seeing a total eclipse is worth every penny.
170C

Post by 170C »

Flew to Springfield, TN for the most recent eclipse. It was an awesome experience! Fortunately I didn't have to go in a Lear Jet although there were a number of twin jets there. My little Cessna did just fine for that 47 mile trip. Returning to MBT and listening to ATC was a hoot as a huge host of folks were requesting flight following to depart from Nashville & Smyrna in addition to smaller airports in the area. Glad I could overfly those two airports, look down and see the congestion and go on home.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018