F&M Oil Filter Adapter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

F&M Oil Filter Adapter

Post by 170C »

The part #'s below may have been published on the forum previously, but a quick review didn't show them and I didn't want to spend a lot of time researching it. I have about decided I need to quit reading the posts about issues folks are having because after doing so then it seems I develop the same or similar issues 8O . I have had an F&M oil filter adapter on my engine since 2003 and for a good portion of that time, when I remove the filter, the adapter moves a bit. I probably should have re-torqued the adapter, but other than when Bruce provided me with a custom built/custom painted (GREEN :mrgreen: ) socket to do the torque, I haven't done so and didn't have leak issues--that is until recently when I had the entire lower half of my firewall covered in oil (probably a tablespoon full, but a little goes a long way). I removed the adapter and the fiber gasket appears to be the culprit, I hope. I ordered a gasket kit from Spruce for $14.95 and am hoping with it and a proper torque that leak will be history. For anyone needing the gasket kit, with your part number they will send a new crush washer P# AN900-28 and a leak guard fiber gasket (no part #). Hope this may be of help to others.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Re: F&M Oil Filter Adapter

Post by 170C »

A follow up on my earlier post. A friend has a Cessna oil filter adapter an says there have been a number of problems with the weight of a full oil filter and vibration resulting in cracked threads where the adapter (Cessna) screws into the accessory case. Anyone know of similar issues with the F& M unit?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

170C wrote:A follow up on my earlier post. A friend has a Cessna oil filter adapter an says there have been a number of problems with the weight of a full oil filter and vibration resulting in cracked threads where the adapter (Cessna) screws into the accessory case. Anyone know of similar issues with the F& M unit?
I seem to remember an AD of some sort on the Cessna adapter, but I never had an issue with mine in about 10 years of running it. About once a year I inadvertently loosen my F&M adapter and have to replace the gaskets.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, the TCM adaptor (also used by Cessna) had an AD note on it regarding cracked threads. The fix, IIRC, was to replace it with a different adaptor which had a large locking/collar-nut to take the shock/momentum of the filter. A similar AD also addressed the lack of a by-pass valve in the adaptor. The FM Enterprises oil filter adapator has nothing to do with that AD. (I wanted no one to be confused with the subject-line of this discussion thread.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)