Door handle/latch on 1948. Help.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mike.bernath

Door handle/latch on 1948. Help.

Post by mike.bernath »

Unreal. The new repro door handle fell off the inside today. At least it chipped the chrome really nice when it hit the concrete hangar floor. I put a tighter clip in it. Now the door latch just flops. The handle will “open” it. So the latch “rod” ribbon is connected. It’s just the janky Cessna designed latch and striker plate can’t be accessed without drilling rivets. Have I got a spring broken? What just happened? Ugh. Thanks.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Door handle/latch on 1948. Help.

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hard to say what might be wrong, if there is anything wrong or more correctly stated, more wrong than most. It is true, the door latch mechanism is a real mouse trap. Yes the only way to get the latch out is to drill rivets. If yours are original, it says something. What is says is this contraption, we all call rinky dink has worked with out repair for 70 years. Maybe it's not so rinky dink, but a genius example of something built to last twice as long as the 30 years expected.

So study it. Drill some rivets. Remove the mechanism. Study it. Repair it. It probably needs a spring. Reinstall it and proclaim yourself another expert in the repair of the 70 year old mouse trap Cessna door latch.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
mike.bernath

Post by mike.bernath »

Thanks Bruce. I bet it’s the spring after googling and reading the board here.
mit

Post by mit »

When I had a 48 it came with out inside handles never missed them!
Tim
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Make sure the handle is pushed all the way onto the shaft so the splines engage. It possible to put the handle on halfway so it looks right and the clip goes on, but it just flops. The upholstery and backing spring are hard to push against when installing the handle.