Landing Lights HID

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Landing Lights HID

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I have an automobile that has as its high beams a HID bulb.

Apparently it is gas filled and not a filament type.
Nothing short of spectacular beam - 3 to 4 times beam length compared to the low beam.

Being a pilot I naturally think about mounting an HID bulb in wing of a C170.

I don't even think about beginning an experiment but wonder if some one with aircraft lighting expertise
has already worked on HID for small airplanes.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Re: Landing Lights HID

Post by ghostflyer »

Some of the new cessnas have come with HID. The light output is massive over normal system but ,Very expensive to replace . They do not like water . You will be surprised about the amount of water that flows in and around the light fitting even when you think you have sealed it . The best option is LED. Suggest go to a web site called “ Goodies for Pilots”. They have a interesting selection . I have been using their products for a couple of months and all is good.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Lopresti developed and STC'd these for airplanes 15-20 years ago. Look up Lopresti Boom Beam. Full Disclosure: I used to work for them. They have a ton of STC's, and often work with owners of new types on 337's and adding to their AML. Most of the big bizjets use their lights. A few competitors have come out with their own version, though IMHO I still think theirs is the best.

Compared to incandescent the lights are unbelievable. They never burn out (thousands of hours of continuous use), and are much brighter. Not cheap, but if you do more than the occasional night flight probably worth it. They've been sort of eclipsed by LED, which is less expensive and easier to install (no ballast), but I have yet to see a LED that is as bright as the HID.

DEM
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you flyboy122

I knew there had to be an aircraft application.

STCs w name Lopresi carries great weight.

Why not a wig wag version for Cessna 100s?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
MT_Don

Post by MT_Don »

As mentioned the "Goodies for Pilots" site has PAR 36 and PAR46 lamps. They also offer a flasher option to install, nice, simple. Great prices also!
:D Good luck! Don C170