Fuel Flow

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Fuel Flow

Post by GAHorn »

I've found that the OEM gauges with fuel sloshing around is all the reassurance I need. 7.8 gph rounded up to 8 gph has always equaled 4.5 hours 'til coughing sounds from the engine and that 3-3.5 hours of flying and a rest/re-fueling stop relieves me of all bladder-pressure and fuel-worry problems.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Don’t you carry a zip lock bag ??? They are good except when they leak at the corners. I was at about 8000ft when my bag really full started to leak badly . I opened the window quickly and out the window it flew. Thinking I was really outback country and barren ground below , I was surprised to realise I was over a major town . Oops.
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Yellow rain.... :o
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Don’t you carry a zip lock bag ??? They are good except when they leak at the corners. I was at about 8000ft when my bag really full started to leak badly . I opened the window quickly and out the window it flew. Thinking I was really outback country and barren ground below , I was surprised to realise I was over a major town . Oops.
Flying Hawkers back in my corporate-days, I noticed the new CEO flights always had a strange, brown streak which streamed aft on the fuselage beneath the left engine from the heated lavatory-drain. Line service complained that ordinary wet cloths would not remove it.... they had to use M.E.K. and was concerned it might eventually harm the AlumiGrip paint. (AlumiGrip is impervious to most solvents.)
After several such flights I noticed it was only when the CEO was on board ...so I asked him what he was pouring down the lavatory-drains. He remarked that he hated Dallas and that ever since I'd informed him that the lav-sink drains directly overboard.... anytime we flew over the metroplex he would go back and piss into the sink.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

WOW, and he was a CEO with that psychological issue. That’s scary. However years ago we had a problem written up in the tech log of a aircraft that a pilot had written . “Blue liquid found on side of aircraft ,do not know what is but tastes BITTER.”
The write up was , Racksan and toilet effluent not suitable to taste. Toilet truck driver instructed to wipe down aircraft after toilet servicing.