Right side brakes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VernH

Right side brakes

Post by VernH »

As far as I can tell, 53C never had brakes installed on the right side. I have a set of pedals and associated hardware to install them. What is required for paperwork since so many 170's had them installed? How can you tell for sure they were or weren't from the factory.
Any thoughts or preferences for with or without brakes on the right?

Thanks in advance,
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
n2582d

Re: Right side brakes

Post by n2582d »

VernH wrote: How can you tell for sure they were or weren't from the factory.
The original equipment list is available from Cessna for your plane. Here’s a screen shot of mine:
1CF127C3-B1F1-4CC7-AEE9-67EBF51D248A.jpeg
Check with your A&P but my guess is he’ll say it’s a minor alteration. “Installed right side rudder pedals, p/n XXX, (listing all parts) in accordance with Dual Brake Conversion, figure 63, of the Cessna 170A IPC.”
Last edited by n2582d on Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Having never done it before and not really sure what it will take, if the rudder bar tubes and support blocks were installed at the factory and extend across from the pilot to copilot side, installation of the pedals and brake assemblies should be able to be done from inside the cabin. It will be a tight fit to get in there but should be doable.

My thought of the best way to do it if the rudder bar tubes do not already extend across from the pilot side to the copilot side would be to remove the engine and take off the firewall so you can get to both the top and bottom of the floor panels and the rudder bar tube area will be fully exposed from the front to install the rudder tubes, brakes, and bearing block assemblies.

Not trying to be funny but not knowing the exact details of what your plane already has and assuming the rudders and brakes are only fitted to the pilot side, in my mind that would be the cleanest.

Another thought on right side brakes. If you never intend to give instruction in the plane or fly from the right side, not having brakes on the copilot side can actually be a good thing. One of the only things a pilot in command cannot do is take off the brakes if a passenger steps on them. More than one plane has been flipped over by inadvertent application of brakes.

If you use stock Cessna parts, since the right side brakes are on the TCDS, it could be done with a logbook entry with a 337 detailing the work signed by an IA and a change to the wt & balance.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

hilltop170 wrote:... If you use stock Cessna parts, since the right side brakes are on the TCDS, ...
Richard, I was thinking the same thing, that the right side brakes/pedals would be listed as optional equipment in the TCDS, but they’re not there.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As already noted. dual brakes were an accessory and not standard equipment. Look at the 170A IPC and you will see Dual Brake Conversion Kit under Optional Equipment. Authority would be to install them as a service kit 52-3-819 just like EVERY other 170A with dual brakes. Dual brakes became standard with the B model serial 20267, but them became optional again serial 26996 and after.

Gary's been pretty good finding service kit instructions. Here's a challenge for him.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
VernH

Post by VernH »

Thanks guys. The tubes and blocks are already there. It's really just a matter of connecting the additional hardware. I have to finish convincing myself its a good idea first. I have seen too many Stearman's on their back because a passenger stepped on the brakes. Right now, That's not an issue.
Fly safe!

Vern
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

There are more uses for right side brakes other than instruction.

I had my seatbelt come loose one time in the middle of a flight (pulled out of the buckle...yeah, I should have caught this on preflight and mx inspections). Instead of screwing with it I just hopped over to the right seat and continued on with an uneventful landing.

Another time I was asked to move a Chief due to some impending weather. I had never flown a Chief. The new owner had Chief time, but no medical. Since I was PIC I got the side with brakes, but sure wouldn't have minded the guy with the experience and the check book having his own set as well.

I get the inadvertent application concern. I'm just saying you never know when they'll come in handy.

DEM
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Vern, the vast majority or 170s have dual brakes. Fact is your 170A is only the second I've heard of only having left side brakes. The other also being a 170A. Yet I've never heard of a passenger, in a 170 in particular, applying the brakes at all let alone to the determent of the operation of the aircraft.

So I'd say your concern is unwarranted.

Do you need right side brakes? Other than training, I'd say not.

And given the rarity of your installation, I'd be more inclined to leave it alone. Doesn't mean I wouldn't collect the parts for the install. They'd just probably be left in a labeled box for the next guy,
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
VernH

Post by VernH »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: And given the rarity of your installation, I'd be more inclined to leave it alone. Doesn't mean I wouldn't collect the parts for the install. They'd just probably be left in a labeled box for the next guy,
Another great point!

Thanks again.
Fly safe!

Vern
Hineywheel Bill

Post by Hineywheel Bill »

n2582d wrote:
The original equipment list is available from Cessna for your plane. Here’s a screen shot of mine:
Check with your A&P but my guess is he’ll say it’s a minor alteration. “Installed right side rudder pedals, p/n XXX, (listing all parts) in accordance with Dual Brake Conversion, figure 63, of the Cessna 170A IPC.”
How do you go about getting the original equipment list from Cessna, and possibly other documents? I'd like to get that for my aircraft as my original copy is almost illegible.
Owner of:
1954 C170B N1921C S/N 26066
Former owner of:
1948 C170 N3815V
1951 C170A N1490D
1946 C140 N76447
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hineywheel Bill wrote:
n2582d wrote:
How do you go about getting the original equipment list from Cessna, and possibly other documents? I'd like to get that for my aircraft as my original copy is almost illegible.
316-517-8270 is the ph no for Cessna Div of Textron. Have your serial number and credit card handy if you wish to order your original docs. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)