Central Fuel Vent on 1952 C170B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: Central Fuel Vent on 1952 C170B

Post by DaveF »

Faucet aerator screen.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Alcor has changed out the packaging and no longer uses the can I used to supply my screen. I visited in person with Alcor about fifteen years ago ...(I was actually interested in buying the additive part of the business and returning TCP and another product to market as they'd all but dropped it. Most of their money is made supplyinthermocouples to NASA and military and they'd virtually quit the the TCP business.)... Anyway I met with the son of the founder...and suggested they allow me to supply a new packaging product for them that would eliminate the clumsy syringe they used and recommended at that time. I showed the pres. of the company (Hundere) the product I would supply which would pre-measure their product and he complimented me on the idea.... then used the idea but never allowed me to quote ...instead bought it from the another company that supplied a similar product for Stabil. :?

Anyway, the little screen I salvaged from an old can of TCP fits inside the gooseneck very securely, as it's shaped like a "top hat" with the brim catching the O.D. of the gooseneck thereby preventing it's progressing down into the vent.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

Hey All,
The Chicago land weather finally let me work on my airplane this weekend and among other things, I got my vent problem fixed. If you read all the posts on this message thread, you may remember my left tank was plugged in 2 places. One was that the fuel cap was built with too much thread locker and that plugged the vent in the fuel cap. Two was the central vent line that went from the top of the fuse to both tanks and it was plugged on the left side. Well, I got it fixed and all back together and working. The problem was a plug had formed at the first bend in the vent pipe. The plug was very hard and acted like it was made from cement/ceramic. Under a microscope, I could see it was formed from red clay and dirt that had fused together. My guess is that after 66 years of the plane living in the south, wind blown dirt slowly filled this vent and solidified.
George had mentioned that he installed a filter at the enterance of this vent. Right now, that sounds like a very good idea. I am thinking of press forming a screen made from stainless into the shape of a cup that can be pressed into the vent and prevent most dirt & bugs from getting in.
Thanks.
Jim Collins N2488D