Door locks?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Aeroplane

Door locks?

Post by Aeroplane »

Anyone know where I can get a door lock that'll work on the 170A? Aren't those things an absolute joy to remove?
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
GAHorn

Re: Door locks?

Post by GAHorn »

What do you mean by "door lock"? Do you have a part number you require or Figure/Illustration, etc?
Do you mean the tumbler assy? or the entire closing mechanism?
PART NUMBERS or REFERENCES.?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

170A IPC 33-24, 0411821-1, Lock assembly, door.
170B IPC 33-35, 0413323-1, Lock assembly, door.
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.22.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.22.57 AM.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 31163 times
This is what we would call a door lock. You might be looking for the door latch assembly. If so, discussion of it, its difficulties and repair/fixes have spanned pages here on and off.

If you are in fact looking for the lock assembly. Here is what I've done. Removed the lock cylinder and parts. Taken it and the key as well as my mag switch key to a well stocked hardware store. Look in the cabinet hardware area. You will likely find an assembly that looks exactly like the one in your hand. You won't find the Cessna part number on it because Cessna doesn't realize someone was still being manufactured and have their part printed on the package. It's a simple oversight on Cessna's part.

Why take your keys. Because it is a bonus to match up the key blank used with the mag key switch. Yes many door lock assemblies us the same key blank. Then, prior to installing your new lock assemblies (you did get two didn't you), carefully remove the tumblers from the cylinder and re arrange them best you can so your mag key will unlock the door. You may have to carefully file a tumbler or two to make this work and you don't have to have all the tumble holes filled for the lock to work fine.

Alternately, you might decide you don't want to get into the other door assembly to change out to a matching lock. Maybe you want to match your new assembly to the other door regardless of the mag key style. In that case be sure to match your new assembly key with the old, then match the tumblers to the old so only one key opens both doors.

Nothing worse than having a plane with 3 keys required. You will always be trying to use the wrong key.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Thanks Bruce, I was reminded, after my post, of a local locksmith who's been in my area for a half century. Sounds like my kind of locksmith! Sure enough he had one almost identical to mine in stock that'll work with very minor modification. He told me he could rekey mine but the thing appeared to have come with the airplane and obviously needed replacement. I bought two, keyed alike. I wish I'd seen your reply about having them keyed to the mag switch before I went down there. As I recall the mag key is larger so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. I'm happy with having just two keys. Now to find new interior door handles. I seem to recall reading here on the forum somewhere that they're the same as a similar year Chevy?
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
Bruce Fenstermacher

The 170A and '52B are early Chevy door handles readily available from several antique car parts houses. However all car parts houses don't necessarily sell the same quality of handle. However, it is easy to get the wrong handles. There are many threads here and most of them are confusing as to what was actually ordered and what was actually the correct part. So don't just settle reading the first thread you find. And before you order be sure of the return policy.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Where are you guys finding lock cylinders with an end that fits the door lock bolt? All I can find at any locksmith is a square drive. Do yours look like this? Two bumps for alignment and a small screw for attachment. The steel lock bolt has holes to mate. The pilots side door bolt isn't called out in the 170B IPC but it's called a bolt for the passenger side.
doorlock.jpeg
doorlock.jpeg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 30046 times
Last edited by DaveF on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

I've replaced the bolt with one that comes with the cylinders. I don't recall ever seeing one like yours.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I wish I had a picture of the bolt, because it mates nicely with that lock. It's .100 thick stamped steel and doesn't appear to be a field fabrication. I'll post a picture of the bolt when I get a chance next week. Btw, my airplane is a '54.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I had MEGGA trouble with my lock cylinders ,all 3 different . 3 keys that looked the same but wouldn’t fit each other . I thought I would replace each lock and have one key. No way, I went to cessna , Spruce ,everywhere nothing and one day when in the local lock smith getting some keys cut for my rental house [we change the locks when a tenant moves out] I told him of my situation with my cessna locks . “Bring them in and we will see what we can do . “ he said . Later I fronted with the locks /and bits in a plastic bag , $5 and another $5 for each extra key cut . So 2 new keys cut , total of $15 and one key that fits everything . I was over the moon.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Here's the bolt. You can see how it mates with the lock. I'd sure like to find a replacement lock that fits this bolt.
image.jpeg
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I used to be in the lock and key business and I've seen that style before. I would bet they are still around. Try another locksmith, or a good hardware store. (Hint from a former hardware store owner: Go in and find the person holding a broom. That's the owner. He/she will go to the ends of the earth to find a $5 part because they understand it's priceless to you, and will be remembered that way.)

DEM
Bruce Fenstermacher

Yikes, I see your issue. That is not a typical bolt. Most I've dealt with are just a straight bar, not an L shape.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It might be easier to drill and file a square notch in that tab to fit the lock you want.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Dave,
The break down of lock assembly 0413323-1 (fig. 33-35) is found in Service Kit SK7052-1 on page 6. The lock is p/n 0413231 and the “cam” is 0413322-1. The lock has been replaced by p/n C253001-0101. Looks like a used one is for sale on eBay. According to Cessna SNL 8-1-52 this new style started with s/n 20816. My guess is that it was used on other Cessna models after 1952.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary, you are the king of the service kit info. Would be great to see a picture of the replacement lock to see if it has the 3 holes or a square to drive the bar.

I was thinking along George's suggestion except I'd probably duplicate an entire new bar with a square hole.