Benham Exhaust parts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Showboatsix

Benham Exhaust parts

Post by Showboatsix »

John Benham Exhaust System

Does anyone know where you can get any parts for this exhaust system?

Looking for two (2) of the "u-shaped" brackets that attach the pipes to the lower cross bracket?

They look similar to a muffler clamp.
Dean
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Benham Exhaust parts

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dean, you are probably stuck with owner produced parts. That is the route I'd take anyway.

There are/where two exhaust mods, Benham and Bartone. Pat Bartone has a set of pipes very similar to Benham's but different in subtle ways including the hanging method. I don't know who developed the pipes first but I always felt animosity existed between the two over each others product. Benham had an STC, Bartone may or may not have had an STC. For at least some period Bartone did not offer an STC with his pipes.

As you probably know John B. past away a few years ago. Prior to his passing there was a brief time when officers of the Association where talking to John about what might happen to his STCs. Bottom line for several reasons, the Association didn't purchase them at the time. After his death, an inquiry was made about them again but we were told they were not available.

Pat told me he bought Benham's STC and it would never be available again. Now Pat is selling his pipes with an STC. Who's STC I don't know.

If you don't want to go down the owner produced parts route, you might check with Pat Bartone and see if he can help. I'm sure at the least he'd be happy to sell you his complete system. Pat is not a computer guy, is not online and does not use email unless he's changed those ways recently. Call him on the phone using the number in the directory.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Dean, if you're talking about the parts circled in the picture below, and if they won't be needed to install my new Bartone's you can have them for shipping. Call Del Lehmann ("wingnut" here on the forums) at Mountain Airframe Services at 479-437-3333 and ask him. I've given him a heads-up that you might be calling, and asked him to determine whether he needs them for my airplane.

Edit: I just got a text from Del that no hardware came with the Bartone pipes, so I guess I'll need to hang on to what I have. Sorry. :oops:
Bottom Left View.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

When I first installed my Bartone exhaust pipes, I used a piece of small pipe (not really pipe, but don't know what it was called 1/4 " diameter & hollow) and hung the pipes from that item. It was clamped to the engine mount with Adel clamps if I remember correctly. When I overhauled my engine in 1999 we changed the hangars to items that mounted to the firewall. Two pieces of what looks like it was cut from an automotive or aircraft tire sidewall secured to the firewall with a doubler inside the firewall using fairly large washers on the front side of the firewall. These then held what was mentioned previously that look like a hangar part from a muffler shop. Has worked just fine ever since and apparently all the different IA's,including two FAA guys that did a ramp check on my plane when I was doing my visual flight check all gave it a thumbs up !
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

From looking at Miles' picture it looks like all the hardware is off the shelf automotive stuff. Did either producer of the exhaust actually manufacture custom tailpipe hangers and such?
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Pat Bartone's STC is No. SA8645SW. I'm not sure how to attach it here, but it's available on the FAA's website at: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... t=sa8645sw

The description line says "Installation of extended exhaust pipes in accordance with John Benham, Parts List, PL-1001-001 Rev. C, dated March 7, 1993 or later FAA approved revisions."

So it does look like Pat bought John's STC. However, the parts list is not attached to the STC. Does anyone who has Benham's (or Bartone's) pipes have a copy of that parts list that you can share? When I bought my plane a year ago, the seller gave me a set of new Bartone pipes (uninstalled). Just the pipes in a box -- no hardware or paperwork. So I'd like to have the parts list to complete the paperwork and see what other hardware is identified, especially the hangers.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
170C

Post by 170C »

I'll look at my paperwork but don't think there is a parts list. Also after thinking about it, I believe the hangars we used on my Bartone pipes are automotive exhaust hangars.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

No parts list. That's interesting. That is apparently what got Benham in some hot water with the Feds prior to his passing. He apparently could not produce one for them. It was also a issue with the officers of the Association when we where looking at acquiring the STC. I'd think John and or Pat could come up with one from someone in the Association who have the paperwork for Benhams STC. Maybe Bebham never actually had a parts list. Would be interesting to see what you get with your STC Miles, specially since it seems you didn't get any hardware with yours.

Bruce Fenstermacher

BTW you will never find anything but the cover page of an STC at the FAA site. This is why we ask folks to send us copies of their STC paperwork so we can see what the STC actually says.

gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Showboatsix wrote: Looking for two (2) of the "u-shaped" brackets that attach the pipes to the lower cross bracket?

They look similar to a muffler clamp.
Dean, the attached 337 documents an installation like the one you mention and the one in Miles' photo. It has a parts list that identifies the U-bolts as 2" automotive exhaust U-bolts.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

I will post some photos of the repair after I get back to the hangar. I already upgraded one area of failure, so this will not be a big issue.
Dean
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

lowNslow wrote:From looking at Miles' picture it looks like all the hardware is off the shelf automotive stuff. Did either producer of the exhaust actually manufacture custom tailpipe hangers and such?
It may be off the shelf automotive hardware, but it all came in the kit with the pipes from John, and is all shown on his assembly sketch. Pat Bartone provides only the pipes, and I'm going to have Del mount them just like the Benhams, which used a piece of 4130 channel suspended from the engine mount by a collection of adel clamps, springs and spacers. I never liked the ones that hang from the firewall, the thinking being that the fewer holes in the firewall the better.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Hey what do you know. We've had a copy of the mysterious parts list all along albeit, not part of the official STC paper.

gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I now see that the drawing is initialed JDB in a number of places. I didn't make the connection before.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bartone-337s-004-small-version.jpg
This is the drawing from the 337 for my installation. The bracket is mounted on the firewall. Truth be known the tabs kept breaking at the bend and it was redesigned creating what would appear like each pipe had two of these brackets one under the other (sorry no pictures of the improved bracket).
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"