Wheel Pant Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Shooter01

Wheel Pant Question

Post by Shooter01 »

Hey all, I've noticed that in some pictures the wheel pants are are in-line with the fuselage/wing cord. Basically, how is that accomplished? It looks to me that it requires a different mounting plate - are they sold somewhere or do they need to be fabricated? Thanks!
Bruce Granheim
Wichita, Kansas
54 B Model
bagarre

Re: Wheel Pant Question

Post by bagarre »

Hi Shooter,

Wheel pants should be square to the ground while the plane is on the ground (3 point).
They shouldn't be level in flight.
I've seen some that are level in flight but I think some people have either re-drilled or made their own brackets.

-David
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

bagarre wrote:Hi Shooter,

Wheel pants should be square to the ground while the plane is on the ground (3 point).
They shouldn't be level in flight.
I've seen some that are level in flight but I think some people have either re-drilled or made their own brackets.

-David
Agree 100% with David.

Not only is mounting them in the aforementioned fashion incorrect, it's (in my not-so-humble opinion on the matter) hideous and will be more prone to damaging the pants. The best thing the new German owners of G-AORB ( now D-EORB) did when they bought the airplane was to take the wheelpants off. It was one of the most photographs 170s out there, and it drove me nuts to see its wheelpants mounted as they were.
Attachments
image.jpg
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Real men fly with Kilts, not pants. Better ventilation!
Shooter01

Post by Shooter01 »

Thanks for the input you guys, appreciate it!

bg
Bruce Granheim
Wichita, Kansas
54 B Model
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If the wheel pants are aligned with the fuselage instead of correctly with the ground... they increase drag as they scoop air....and more of it, especially during climb/approach.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)